Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkswagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

Volkswagen emission scandal news gets a news update in India. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has asked the German car manufacturer to place an interim amount of Rs 100 crore with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), for violating the emission norms.

NGT has also formed a new committee in this regard, with members from the CPB, Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Ministry of Heavy Industries and ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India). The members will discuss and find the amount of environment loss that has happened due to the hot topic, Volkswagen emission scandal.

Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkwagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

The tribunal bench has directed the committee to submit a final report within a month, with the involvement of both the brand and the petitioners. The two have to appear before the bench in a week's time.

Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkwagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

At one point, there was even a plea filed to ban the sale of Volkswagen-branded vehicles in India, owing to the emission scandal. However, it never happened and Volkswagen India is doing decently well on the market.

Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkwagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

The Volkswagen emission scandal first hit the headlines back in 2015. Volkswagen models powered by the brand's EA189 diesel engines were accused of having ‘cheat devices'. Those cars would apparently reduce the amount of NOx emissions via software, whenever they are put on some pollution test.

Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkwagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

The scandal resulted in a recall of over three lakh cars, but some reports suggest that only 64% of the affected vehicles were recalled while the remaining 36% is still on the road. Whatever be the number, the scandal really hurt Volkswagen's brand image.

Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News Update: NGT Asks Volkwagen To Pay Rs 100 Crore

Thoughts On The Volkswagen Emission Scandal India News

Emission norms are getting stringent with time, and manufacturers are often forced to do some kind of manipulations to bypass it. The emission scandal done by Volkswagen was openly admitted by themselves and apologised to their customers. ‘Vag fans' were getting over the emission scandal, but the NGT has brought it up again.

Leave your thoughts on the Volkswagen emission scandal in the comment section below.

English
Read more on: #auto news
Article Published On: Saturday, November 17, 2018, 11:25 [IST]
X

Get Instant Auto Updates From DriveSpark

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Drivespark sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Drivespark website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more