TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Chakravyuh — How Indian Agencies Kept A Check On The Growth Of The Islamic State
- IPL 2019: Highlights — CSK Beat SRH By 6 Wickets
- Xiaomi Redmi Y3 32 MP Selfie Cam Launch — Watch The Live Stream Here
- Bajaj Pulsar 180F ABS Price Revealed
- CONFIRMED! Salman's Tere Naam To Get A Sequel
- Six Ways to Ensure Good Deal on Personal Loan Interest Rate
- 10 Tips To Prevent Asthma Attacks
- Rourkela: A Weekend Getaway
As part of the project, Skoda will take over the responsibility for the development of the India-specific MQB A0-IN sub-compact platform. This confirms that all future Volkswagen models designed in India will be part of the MQB platform.
Skoda is all set to launch its first model based on the new platform in 2020. The new SUV model will rival the likes of the Hyundai Creta. The new SUV will borrow design cues from the Vision X SUV concept. The SUV was showcased internationally, however, the features and styling will be India-specific.
Volkswagen will also launch a new SUV, based on the Vision X concept. Both models will share certain components and body panels. However, each of them will come with a unique brand-specific identity in the Indian market.
Skoda is expected to take over the Volkswagen Chakan plant in Pune. This plant will be updated with a new production line. The new MQB A0-In platform SUV will be built parallel to the existing production line.
The Chakan plant is currently used for the manufacture of vehicles, which include the Skoda Rapid, Volkswagen Ameo, Polo and the Vento.
Bernhard Maier, CEO, Skoda, stated, "Volkswagen Group has tasked us with this responsibility, thereby highlighting the level of trust that Volkswagen Group's management places in the expertise of the Skoda team."
Thoughts On Skoda Heading Volkswagen's India 2.0 Project
The new MQB platform will help both companies to develop new vehicles. The new platform will standardise many components, dimensions and production processes. This will further help reduce the overall cost and production time.