- 8 hrs ago Mahindra Thar 700 Launched In India At Rs 9.99 Lakh — Limited Numbers Of A Fantastic SUV
- 8 hrs ago MG Motors Plans To Launch eZS All Electric SUV — Slated For Late 2019
- 8 hrs ago Renault Triber Teased Ahead Of Global Unveil
- 10 hrs ago Tata Tigor Automatic Launched In India — Prices Start At Rs 6.39 Lakh
- News Cyclone Vayu, headed for North Gujarat, to weaken further
- Technology Indian Consumer Prefer To Watch OTT Content For Free
- Sports ICC World Cup 2019: Super Shakib inspires Bangladesh to thumping win over Windies
- Lifestyle 8 Astonishing Health Benefits Of Drinking Cucumber Juice
- Movies Bepannaah’s Harshad Chopda On His Secret Girlfriend; Reveals Awkward Moment About Intimate Scene!
- Finance Nifty Earnings For Jan-Mar Touched 5-Quarter Low
- Education RSOS 10th Result 2019: Steps To Check Result
- Travel Pangong Lake - The World's Highest Saltwater Lake
Renault is working towards introducing the electric version of the Kwid in India. The Renault Kwid has been one of the best-selling cars for the French automaker in the country. Although there is no specific timeline, Renault is expected to bring the Electric Kwid to India in a few years time.
The Renault Kwid electric once introduced in the Indian market is expected to be priced around the Rs 6 lakh, ex-showroom range. The car will then compete directly with the Mahindra E2O.
The team of engineers who developed the Kwid in Indiahave already gone to China to aid the development of the hatchback's electric version. The Chinese engineersare expected to offer their expertise in the battery and battery-management system for the new electric Kwid.
The Renault Kwid is currently one of the cheapest cars in the Indian market. The Kwid hatchback is currently offered with two petrol engine options: an 800cc and a 1.0-litre power unit. Both the engines come mated to a five-speed manual gearbox. While the 1.0-litre variant also comes with the option of an AMT transmission.
ET Auto sources confirmed the news, stating, "The basic architecture - the CMF-A (platform), has been developed in India; the Chinese counterparts are going to bring in their battery and battery-management system expertise into the project. The vehicle is likely to hit the Chinese market in 12-18 months. So, it is only a matter of time before the electric Kwid comes to India."
They further added, "Once the Kwid electric is made in China, there was no reason why it should not be exported to India, Brazil and the Middle East".
Sumit Sawhney, MD, Renault India, stated, "You have to bring the right product to the market. Today, 40% of the cost of an electric vehicle is the battery. Localisation is the key factor if one has to make the value proposition for the consumer attractive.
Thoughts On The Renault Kwid Electric
Renault has already announced its 2022 global roadmap, which will see the company bring their electric vehicles to India. Globally, the Renault-Nissan alliance is also working on launching a number of electric vehicles in international markets. The French carmaker, though, is waiting on clarity on the Indian government's policy to bring in electric vehicles into the country.