- 12 hrs ago Mercedes Developing Heated Seat Belts — Hopes To Motivate People To Use Them
- 13 hrs ago Ssangyong Tivoli Facelift Unveiled In South Korea — Features A New Engine And Tweaked Interiors
- 14 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Bookings Cross The 17000 Mark — India Loves The Korean Bestseller
- 14 hrs ago Skoda Unveils 2020 Superb — Tech Overload
- Technology OnePlus 7 Pro has a weird display issue called phantom touches
- News Here is how NOTA performed in Delhi
- Education HSC Result 2019 Gujarat: Steps To Check HSC Arts And Commerce Stream Result 2019
- Sports World Cup Warm-Up: Young Hashmatullah stars as Afghanistan stun Pakistan in a thriller
- Lifestyle Katrina Kaif's Floral Dress Makes For A Perfect Travel Dress
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Chinese firm SAIC-owned British automaker MG Motors is all set to enter the Indian market in 2018. Now, ET Auto reports that company's first product in the Indian market could be the ZS SUV. The report states that the first MG model would be a Hyundai Creta rival and it might be the ZS or GS SUV.
The MG ZS is the company's latest SUV which was launched in late 2016. The SUV measures just over four metres and will be a fitting rival to the likes of Hyundai Creta. In the international market, the ZS is offered with a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated and a 1-litre turbocharged petrol engine.
The 1.5-litre petrol engine produces 118bhp and 150Nm of torque and comes mated to a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic gearbox. The 1-litre turbocharged unit is good for 123bhp and 170Nm of torque and is coupled to a 6-speed automatic transmission. We expect the India-spec model to feature a new diesel engine.
The report states that MG Motors will either launch the ZS or the GS as the first product in India. But the ZS might be the first one to arrive as it will be a fierce competitor to the Hyundai Creta. Currently, the Creta has been the segment leader in the Indian market, and MG Motors will be looking to hit the sweet spot with its first product.
The second product in the pipeline is the GS SUV which was launched in 2015 and received a facelift by the end of 2016. Its a C-segment SUV rivalling the likes of Jeep Compass and the Hyundai Tucson. MG is unlikely to introduce the GS as its first product in India because of its dimensions.
The global-spec MG GS draws power from a 1.5-litre and 2-litre turbocharged petrol engines. The 1.5-litre unit churns out 165bhp and 250Nm of torque and comes mated to a 6-speed manual or 7-speed automatic transmission. The bigger 2-litre engine is coupled to a 6-speed automatic transmission.
MG Motors India has already started its India operations with the inauguration of its manufacturing plant at Halol which was acquired from General Motors in September 2017. Currently, the company is refurbishing the manufacturing plant, and the first model is expected to roll out in the first quarter of the financial year 2018-19.
DriveSpark's Thoughts On MG ZS SUV
The SUV segment has been growing at a rapid pace in the Indian market, and several manufacturers have been entering the SUV space. Now, MG Motors is also planning to introduce an SUV as its first product in the Indian market. When launched in India, the MG ZS will rival the likes of Hyundai Creta.