- Kia Grand Carnival MPV Spotted Testing In India — To Rival Toyota Innova Crysta
- Exclusive: The 2018 Kia Cerato Spotted In India For The First Time — To Rival The Hyundai Verna
- Kia Considering The Stonic And Grand Carnival For India
- Kia Stinger GT S Spotted In Chennai — Kia Motors Considering An India Launch Of The Stinger GT?
- Kia SP Concept: Expected Launch, Details & Features — What To Expect From The India-Specific SUV?
- Kia SP Concept SUV India Launch Sooner Than Expected
Kia Motors India is said to be looking into participating in bids to supply electric car vehicles for the government. According to reports from Livemint, Kia Motors will start the bidding process once its manufacturing plant in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh is set up.
The Korean car manufacturer has already announced its plans to enter the Indian market by the second half of 2019 with the SP Concept, showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo.
Officials from the company have said that they are looking at the possibility of introducing an electric vehicle in India as either their second or third offering in 2021.
However, this will depend on the direction taken by the government towards electric and sustainable mobility along with infrastructure for charging stations.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a state-run company, floated a fresh tender for 10,000 units of electric vehicles on March 9th. An initial tender of 500 last year, was won by Tata Motors and Mahindra.
The same company official also mentioned that the company's global portfolio mainly includes; hybrid, plug-in hybrids, fuel cells and electric vehicles, hence depending on the readiness of infrastructure and the market situation Kia Motors would introduce the appropriate powertrain in India.
Apart from participating in the bid for electric car supply, Kia Motors is also looking at other alternative ways of introducing electric cars in India.
Kia Motors India plant initially will have an annual manufacturing capacity of 300,000 units, which the company plans to exhaust in the first 3 - 4 years. The company also plans to be the third or fourth largest car maker in India within the same time frame.
Thoughts On Kia Motors Government EV Supply Bid
The participation of Kia Motors in the government bid is a great way of introducing cars into the market. The bidding will help the company understand the market and price their offerings competitively.