- 43 min ago Tata Motors Discontinue Certain Variants Of Safari, Zest And Bolt Models In India
- 1 day ago Suzuki Intruder 250 In The Works — Launch Expected During 2020 Auto Expo
- 1 day ago MG Hector Bookings Unofficially Begin — To Rival The Tata Harrier
- 1 day ago Tata Motors Upgrades Safety Features On The Tiago — Made Of Great, But Safer Now
- News SC dismisses Atul Rai's plea seeking protection from arrest in rape case
- Sports Ferran Corominas returns to FC Goa for a third season
- Technology Realme 3 Pro with up to 6GB RAM going up for sale today on Flipkart
- Movies Are Sai Pallavi And Rakul Preet Singh Not On Good Terms? DEETS INSIDE!
- Finance Finance Ministry To Launch ETF With Public Sector Banks This Fiscal Year
- Education WB HS Result 2019 Declared: 86.92 Percent Students Passed
- Lifestyle Pseudogout: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
The Hyundai Kona Electric car was unveiled at 2018 Geneva Motor Show and is the only second electric vehicle (EV) in the carmaker's global product portfolio.
While there have been reports of the Hyundai Kona electric launch in India, Autocar has confirmed that the Kona EV will be launched in India by mid-2019.
YK Koo, MD and CEO, Hyundai India said: "We are not looking at big sales numbers with the Kona, but we want to make a technology statement and show our commitment to an EV future",
Also, he said confirmed that Hyundai would not pursue hybrids as an option in India due to lack of tax structure for hybrid vehicles in India.
"Since there are no tax incentives for hybrids, we are looking at concentrating our efforts on pure EVs", added Koo.
As for the Hyundai Kona Electric price, the carmaker is planning to locally assemble the electric crossover and price it close to Rs 25 lakh range.
Hyundai aims to sell close to 50-60 units of the Kona in India on a monthly basis.
The India-spec Hyundai Kona Electric vehicle will have the version with a 300km driving range from a 39.2kWh battery pack.
The Kona EV's electric motor produces 132bhp and 395Nm of torque.
The electric motor of the Hyundai Kona helps the SUV sprint to 100kph in 9.7 seconds with a top speed of 155kph.
As for the Kona electric charging time, the lithium-ion battery pack can be charged in 54 minutes to 80 percent through a 100kW fast charger or 6hr 10 minutes via a standard AC source.
Hyundai says the Kona's battery pack is integrated into the SUV's platform without hindering the interior space, this means, the luggage space of the Kona is untouched.
The luggage space of the Hyundai Kona electric of 373 litres reduces to 332 litres with the charger cable. Additionally, there is storage space in the front of the car.
Visually, the Kona electric is similarly styled as the regular Kona, but the Kona electric has a closed grille and no exhausts.
The 17-inch alloy wheels are exclusive to the Hyundai Kona electric car, while the bumpers and spoiler are revised for better dynamics.
On the inside, the Kona electric gets a digital dashboard, head-up display and a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system. You can even opt for an 8-inch display unit.
Other features include heated and ventilated front seats as well as eight-way electrically adjustable.
The Hyundai Kona Electric also comes with a host of driver assistance systems such as adaptive cruise control, a lane-centering system, rear cross-traffic alert and automatic emergency braking.
DriveSpark's Thoughts About The Hyundai Kona Electric Launch In India
Hyundai is taking the right path by introducing an SUV in the electric vehicle segment rather than a hatchback or a sedan.
With the global trend of the SUVs, the Hyundai Kona electric launch in India will help the carmaker position an SUV in the segment.
The Hyundai Kona electric car is conventional looking and does not feature a radical looking design, which makes it more acceptable in the Indian market.