- 50 min ago New Norton V4 RR Superbike Unveil Scheduled For Year-End: First Model Under New TVS Ownership
- 1 hr ago 2021 Mahindra XUV500 Digital Instrument Cluster Display Revealed: Spy Pics & Other Details
- 3 hrs ago Renault Winter Service Camp Announced In India: Here Are All Details
- 17 hrs ago Porsche Taycan Creates New Drifting World Record: Longest Drift In An Electric Vehicle
- News Dear Bangabhumi Raidak Lottery Result 2020 to be declared today at 4 pm
- Sports India tour of Australia: No room for abuse, plenty for banter, says Justin Langer
- Movies Hrithik Roshan Calls Dhoom 2 His Induction Into School Of How To Be Sexy; Read His Post
- Education SSB ASI Admit Card 2020 Released, Check Direct Link To Download
- Finance Bitcoin Investment Is For Long Term; To Scale To Rs. 1 Crore By 2030: Analysts
- Technology Infinix Zero 8i India Launch Officially Confirmed; Arriving On December 2
- Lifestyle Surbhi Jyoti Leaves Us Speechless With Her Bold Dual Toned Eye Make-Up Look
- Travel 10 Best Honeymoon Destinations To Visit In India This Winter
The Hyundai Kona Electric car was unveiled at 2018 Geneva Motor Show and is the only second electric vehicle (EV) in the carmaker's global product portfolio.
While there have been reports of the Hyundai Kona electric launch in India, Autocar has confirmed that the Kona EV will be launched in India by mid-2019.
YK Koo, MD and CEO, Hyundai India said: "We are not looking at big sales numbers with the Kona, but we want to make a technology statement and show our commitment to an EV future",
Also, he said confirmed that Hyundai would not pursue hybrids as an option in India due to lack of tax structure for hybrid vehicles in India.
"Since there are no tax incentives for hybrids, we are looking at concentrating our efforts on pure EVs", added Koo.
As for the Hyundai Kona Electric price, the carmaker is planning to locally assemble the electric crossover and price it close to Rs 25 lakh range.
Hyundai aims to sell close to 50-60 units of the Kona in India on a monthly basis.
The India-spec Hyundai Kona Electric vehicle will have the version with a 300km driving range from a 39.2kWh battery pack.
The Kona EV's electric motor produces 132bhp and 395Nm of torque.
The electric motor of the Hyundai Kona helps the SUV sprint to 100kph in 9.7 seconds with a top speed of 155kph.
As for the Kona electric charging time, the lithium-ion battery pack can be charged in 54 minutes to 80 percent through a 100kW fast charger or 6hr 10 minutes via a standard AC source.
Hyundai says the Kona's battery pack is integrated into the SUV's platform without hindering the interior space, this means, the luggage space of the Kona is untouched.
The luggage space of the Hyundai Kona electric of 373 litres reduces to 332 litres with the charger cable. Additionally, there is storage space in the front of the car.
Visually, the Kona electric is similarly styled as the regular Kona, but the Kona electric has a closed grille and no exhausts.
The 17-inch alloy wheels are exclusive to the Hyundai Kona electric car, while the bumpers and spoiler are revised for better dynamics.
On the inside, the Kona electric gets a digital dashboard, head-up display and a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system. You can even opt for an 8-inch display unit.
Other features include heated and ventilated front seats as well as eight-way electrically adjustable.
The Hyundai Kona Electric also comes with a host of driver assistance systems such as adaptive cruise control, a lane-centering system, rear cross-traffic alert and automatic emergency braking.
DriveSpark's Thoughts About The Hyundai Kona Electric Launch In India
Hyundai is taking the right path by introducing an SUV in the electric vehicle segment rather than a hatchback or a sedan.
With the global trend of the SUVs, the Hyundai Kona electric launch in India will help the carmaker position an SUV in the segment.
The Hyundai Kona electric car is conventional looking and does not feature a radical looking design, which makes it more acceptable in the Indian market.