- Fiat Punto Fails Badly In Euro NCAP Crash Test Rating — Find Out Why
- Fiat Chrysler And Hyundai On Tech Partnership — What's Cooking?
- 2018 Fiat Cronos Sedan Unveiled; Is This The Next-Gen Linea For India?
- End Of Road For The Popular Fiat 1.3-Litre MultiJet Diesel Engine
- Driver Miraculously Escapes Unhurt After Brutal Fiat Punto Abarth Crash
- Fiat Abarth Punto Production Begins In India – Report
AutoBlog reports that the new SUV from Fiat will be based on the Jeep Compass. Fiat had planned to introduce the SUV nearly a year ago, but it was delayed due to the projects like Argo (Punto) and upcoming X6S sedan.
Fiat is finally back on track and is developing its new SUV based on the Jeep Compass. The overall design of the vehicle is likely to be similar to the Toro pickup which shares the platform and exterior elements such as doors with the Jeep premium compact SUV.
The new Fiat SUV is likely to draw power from the existing 1.8-litre petrol and 2-litre turbocharged diesel engine producing 138bhp and 170bhp respectively.
The petrol unit will be coupled to a 6-speed automatic gearbox delivering power to the front wheels, whereas the diesel engine will be mated to a 6-speed manual or an optional 9-speed automatic gearbox offered in both front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive system.
The new SUV is also expected to be equipped with features such as FCA's 5-inch Uconnect infotainment system, 7-inch MID, reverse parking sensors and camera, panoramic sunroof and seven airbags.
The new SUV will make its debut in the South American markets with a 7-seat configuration. The automaker will also introduce the SUV in several other global markets.
Fiat is finally developing a new SUV based on the Jeep Compass. The new vehicle will share its platform and several other key components from the Compass. Expect the SUV to feature new design elements as opposed to the currently sold Fremont.