- 5 hrs ago Bike Sales Report For November 2020: TVS Motor Company Register 21% Growth In Yearly Sales
- 6 hrs ago Car Sales Report For November 2020: Maruti Suzuki Registers Marginal 1.7% Growth In Yearly Sales
- 9 hrs ago Kia Sonet Becomes Best-Selling Compact-SUV In India: Company Registers 50% Monthly Growth
- 10 hrs ago 2021 Dakar Rally Route Revealed: Here Are All Details Of The Upcoming Race
- Movies Gauahar Khan & Zaid Darbar Announce Their Wedding Date; The Bride-To-Be Reveals Zaid Proposed After A Month Of Courtship
- Technology Samsung Galaxy M51 Gets New Firmware Update In India: What Does The New Changelog Offers?
- News Trump Campaign files lawsuit in Wisconsin alleging massive fraud in election
- Sports Three more members of Pakistan squad in New Zealand test positive for COVID-19: PCB source
- Finance 3 Large Cap Funds With Six-Month Return Of 35%; One-Year Return In Double Digits
- Lifestyle Are Berries Effective In Preventing And Managing Diabetes?
- Education UGC NET Cut-off June 2020 Released, Check Subject-wise Marks & Percentile
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Rajasthan In December
Indian electric-two wheeler manufacturer, Okinawa scooters reported sales of over 1,000 units in May 2020. The company confirmed that the reported numbers are since it resumed operations after the nation-wide lockdown was eased.
Okinawa also had to temporarily suspend its manufacturing and retail operations due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting nation-wide lockdown announced in the country. However, the company has resumed operations in a phase-wise manner since the announcement of relaxations on the nation-wide lockdown.
According to the reports from the company, it has also dispatched more than 1,200 units of e-scooters in the 1st month of operations post lockdown. Okinawa resumed its dealership operations on May 11 with only 25 per cent workforce and achieved these sales figures while only 70 per cent of its 350 retail outlets were operational across the country.
In addition to this, the report also reveals that the brand has become a leader in electric scooter sales for FY2020. Okinawa is the only EV maker to have jumped the 10,000 e-scooter sales in India.
Jeetender Sharma, Managing Director, Okinawa, said, "We have witnessed a good demand in the market for electric scooters. We have retailed over 1000 electric scooters despite limited dealerships operational during the current COVID 19 outbreak. This has indeed encouraged us, as we understand that the market is gaining its strength back."
"We also anticipate that, due to COVID-19 outbreak, a lot of people would want to avoid using public transport, which might increase the demand for new vehicles for personal mobility. With the increasing awareness around the economic viability of electric vehicles, we might witness a sharp inclination towards EVs among the buyers," he further added.
The company declared in April that it has decided to raise the dealer margin from 8% to 11% and extend the dealer profitability. Okinawa has recently announced the launch of new custom hand painting service for its battery-powered scooters.
In related news, the company is gearing up to launch its first electric motorcycle in the Indian market. Called the Oki100, the electric motorcycle was showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo and has been under development ever since. However, the company has now announced that their upcoming electric motorcycle will employee 100 per cent localizations to support ‘Vocal For Local' initiative by the government — here are more details.
Thoughts About Okinawa Selling Over 1000 Electric Scooter After Resuming Operations In May
Demand for electric two-wheeler has seen a drastic increase in the Indian market during the FY2020. It has registered a 20 per cent growth over the FY2019 and those numbers are only expected to increase in the current financial year. Okinawa has couple of models lined-up to launch in the Indian market including a motorcycle and a maxi-scooter.