- 41 min ago Kawasaki Ninja 300 Recalled To Replace Faulty Brake Component — Is Your Motorcycle Involved?
- 42 min ago New (2019) Hyundai Grand i10 India-Launch On 20th August — Even Ahead Of Its Global Public Debut
- 59 min ago Napino Signs MOU With Farasis Energy Inc. — Will Manufacture Battery Packs For EVs In India
- 2 hrs ago DSK Owned Benelli & Hyosung Motorcycles Up For Grabs – Will Be Available Through Online Auction Only
- News Retained it because it was lucky: Kumaraswamy on why he stayed on at Taj West End
- Sports Virat Kohli retains top spot in ICC Test Rankings; Ashwin, Jadeja remain in top 10 for bowlers
- Technology Track Every Step You Take With Under Armour’s High-Performance Smart Running Shoes
- Movies Bigg Boss Tamil 3 Contestants Salary: Who Takes Home The Maximum Pay?
- Lifestyle L-carnitine: Its Benefits, Sources And Side Effects
- Education Chandrayaan 2: Free Online Courses In Aerospace Engineering Offered By HRD Ministry's Swayam Portal
- Finance 4 Best Small Cap Mutual Funds To Buy
- Travel National Parks to Visit During Monsoon in India
UM Motorcycles has discontinued their sales in India. The brand which sold the Renegade cruiser has stopped its operations in the country due to low sales and lower demand.
The sales figures of the UM brand had dropped to just 12 in the market during the month of March 2019. One of the main reasons for the low sales is also the fact that the American brand had failed to offer their products with the ABS, which was made mandatory for all 125cc and above vehicles from April 2019. The brand has also failed to dispatch any vehicles from their manufacturing plant in the last two months.
Currently, the UM brand sells different variants of their Renegade model in the Indian market. This includes the Sport S, Commando, Mojave and the Classic. All the variants are powered by the same 279.5cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine producing 24.8bhp and 23Nm of torque. The engine is further mated to a six-speed gearbox.
The company however, is planning to re-launch their products soon; this time with the ABS update. The brand is expected to bring in the updated products in the coming months, along with more new models as well. UM had showcased a number of motorcycles during the 2018 Auto Expo, many of which are expected to come to India.
Recently, a new adventure-tourer offering from the brand had been spotted testing in India. The new UM adventure-tourer, DSR Adventure 200 is might be introduced upon the brand's re-launch. However, there is no official confirmation regarding the motorcycle yet.
The four variants of the UM Renegade come with varied prices ranging from Rs 1.68 lakh for the Sport S to Rs 2.02 lakh for the Classic. All prices are ex-showroom (Delhi). Currently all showrooms have been closed down, according to a former dealer in Bangalore.
Thoughts On The UM Motorcycle Discontinuation In India
The UM Motorcycles entered the Indian market a while back. The company hoped to gain good traction in the 300cc cruiser segment, however, it did not happen. The 300cc segment is a fiercely competitive segment, dominated by the likes of the Royal Enfield Classic 350 and the Bullet 350. With sales temporarily stopped, it will be interesting to see how UM Motorcycles bounce back in the market.