- 2 hrs ago Mahindra Alturas G4 BS-VI Spied Testing In India Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- 3 hrs ago Bangalore Police To Use Traffic Fines In Improvement Of Infrastructure For Motorists In The City
- 4 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Jimny SUV Will Not Launch In India Anytime Soon: Here’s Why
- 6 hrs ago KTM Duke 790 Launch Date Confirmed For India: Here’s Everything You Need To Know
- News 10-year-old girl dies of rare brain-eating amoeba contracted while swimming
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada Season 7's New Theme Upsets Viewers; Demand Equal Opportunity For Commoners!
- Technology Vivo True Wireless Earphone Announced: Specifications And Pricing
- Lifestyle Funny Reasons That Only Mothers Can Give To Discipline Their Children
- Finance Gold And Silver Prices In India Relapse
- Sports Biriyani banned for Pak cricketers, but Kohli, Dhoni, Hardik follow stricter diet and fitness plan
- Education NIOS Admit Card Released For Class 10 And 12 Sep/Oct 2019 Board Exam
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
According to AutoCar India, Ather Energy has been planning to launch two new scooters by 2021. Sources now confirm that one of these scooter models will be an affordable product, and it will launch with a price that's closer to 125cc Internal Combustion Engine powered scooters.
Ather has an ambitious target of retailing one lakh units by June 2021. To achieve this, the company needs a large increase in production capacity, entry into more markets and, most importantly, an affordable, high-volume product. As is, Ather's most affordable scooter is the Ather 450 which retails at Rs 1.23 lakh ex-showroom (India). That is almost twice as expensive as the current 125cc sellers.
The new, mass-market scooter that Ather Energy is working on is expected to feature cheaper and alternates to premium materials like aluminium. We expect that components like the grab handle, mirror stalks and side stand to be made out of steel or cast-iron.
We could also see Ather simplify the other features like the instrument cluster that displays rider information. While we do not know what kind of motor will be featured, the company has said that it will not witness too much of dilution in performance or range.
The current bunch of 125cc scooters are prided between Rs 55,080 (Hero Destini 125) and Rs 72,920 (Aprilia SR 125). Popular 125cc scooter models like the Honda Activa 125 and TVS NTorq 125 are priced somewhere in between. We expect the new Ather electric scooter to be closer to the price of the Aprilia, for the simple reason that battery tech is still very expensive.
Ather also said, during 2018, that they were also working on an electric motorcycle. This project is still at a research and development level, however the focus for now is expansion in to various cities, and the affordable scooter we've been talking about.
Thoughts About Ather Energy Launching An Affordable Electric Scooter
Ather has just made a lot of people smile. Yes! We need electric vehicles to be priced closer to what the ICE scooters are priced at. Yes, electric vehicles need to be cheaper if they want to sell, and want to create a buzz. We are thrilled that Ather is making the effort to bring electric vehicles to the limelight. We may even buy one!