- 8 hrs ago Tata Altroz Turbo Petrol Variant Details Revealed: Launch Expected Soon
- 9 hrs ago Honda Cars India Introduce Virtual Showrooms: New Car Purchase From Comfort of Home
- 10 hrs ago Tata Tiago Production Crosses 3 Lakh Unit Mark: New Milestone Achieved
- 12 hrs ago 2020 Hyundai i20 Spotted Testing In Delhi Ahead Of India Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- Movies NCB Summons TV Couple Sanam Johar & Abigail Pande; Raids Their Juhu Residence
- Sports IPL 2020: KKR vs MI: Six months is a long time without cricket, says Rohit Sharma after Mumbai bounce back with big win
- News 'Hero of zero hour': Union Minister' praise for Lok Sabha Speaker
- Lifestyle ICW 2020: Janhvi Kapoor Unveils The Elegant Veil Look In Manish Malhotra’s Couture Movie
- Finance 3 Tips To Earn Higher Interest On Fixed Deposits
- Technology Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Launched; Affordable Samsung Flagship To Tackle The Competition?
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Winter In India In 2020
- Education SWAYAM Admit Card 2020 Released For September 2020
Electric vehicle battery packs are becoming really popular for stationary energy storage projects. The latest development is that Nissan Leaf battery packs are now powering a new large energy storage system at the Johan Cruijff Arena, in Amsterdam.
The project is the result of collaboration between Nissan, Eaton, BAM, The Mobility House and the Johan Cruijff Arena, supported by the Amsterdam Climate and Energy Fund (AKEF) and Interreg.
Nissan said, "It is the largest European energy storage system using second-life and new electric vehicle batteries in a commercial building. We have installed a 3 MW/ 2.8MWh storage system that is made of battery modules from an equivalent of 148 Nissan Leaf battery packs."
"It will be used to provide a more reliable and efficient energy supply and usage for the stadium, its visitors, neighbors and the Dutch energy grid," they added.
Henk van Raan, Director of Innovation, Johan Cruijff Arena, said, "Thanks to this energy storage system, the stadium will be able to use its own sustainable energy more intelligently and, as Amsterdam Energy Arena BV, it can trade in the batteries' available storage capacity."
"The Arena is assured of a considerable amount of power, even during an outage. As a result, the stadium will contribute to a stable Dutch energy grid. The Johan Cruijff Arena is one of the most sustainable stadiums in the world and leads the way in introducing smart innovations like this unique energy storage system," he added.
The stadium also features 4,200 solar panels that feed power to the new battery system.
This is the latest of many example of automakers using electric vehicle battery packs at stationary energy storage projects. Mercedes Benz recently converted a coal power plant into an energy storage system using electric car batteries.
BMW also uses vehicle battery packs for energy storage projects. They recently added over 500 BMW i3 battery packs to the UK National Grid to create its large energy storage project, the largest to date.
Renault uses old Zoe battery packs for a home energy storage products and energy storage systems to power off-the-grid charging stations.
Nissan recently unveiled new streetlights powered by used Leaf battery packs.
Thoughts About Nissan Leaf Battery Packs Powering Energy Storage Systems At Johan Cruijff Arena
Most of us think of battery packs just for things we use on a daily basis - laptops, smartphones, portable power banks, and at best, cameras. Applications for battery packs are much wider. It makes the headline today because companies like Nissan, BMW, and Mercedes Benz produce electric cars on a global level, but the applications battery packs are unlimited. We are impressed with what Nissan has just accomplished.