- 1 day ago Dual-Tone Colours For TVS Radeon Launched Ahead Of Festive Season; Priced Slightly Higher
- 2 days ago Mercedes-Benz Creates The Most Transparent Retail Experience
- 2 days ago Tata Punch Vs Tata Nexon; Did Tata Accidentally Kill The Nexon?
- 3 days ago MG Astor Bookings Opened: First Batch Gets Sold Out Within 20 Minutes
- Movies Raveena Tandon's Best Songs Which Every 90s Kid Has Grown Up Listening To!
- Technology Week 43, 2021 Launch Roundup: Nokia C30, Vivo T1, OPPO K9s, iQOO Z5x, And More
- Sports 'Lucky 13': Babar Azam lords in style as India lose to Pakistan for first time in World Cup
- News NCB's Sameer Wankhede writes to Mumbai top cop, seeks protection from action on 'false charges'
- Finance Government May Present 2 Major Financial Sector Bills In Winter Session
- Lifestyle Over 104.5 Crore COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Provided To States, UTs: Centre
- Travel Himachal Pradesh's Best Winter Destinations
- Education ICSE, ISC Board Exams Revised Datesheet 2021-22 Released By CISCE, Check Time Table Here
Italdesign has patented a new seat belt system for two-wheelers. The new seatbelt system is intended to hold the rider in place in some scenarios and releases the rider in some others. It gets a large backrest that helps keep the rider safe in the event of a crash.
Italdesign was founded in 1968 as Studi Italiani Realizzazione Prototipi S.p.A in Italy, and currently employs more than 900 people worldwide. The Italian design and engineering company has in the past designed many iconic vehicles such as the DeLorean DMC-12, Lotus Esprit, Maserati MC12, Ducati 860 GT and Volkswagen Golf Mk1 among many others.
The brand has now patented a new seatbelt system for two-wheelers. Unlike most seatbelt systems, this system comes with a large backrest similar to the seats seen in racing cars with plenty of lateral support.
The system is designed in a way that the backrest is attached to the two-wheeler via a flexible joint to allow the rider to move up to a certain degree. Between the flexible joint and the backrest is a quick release mechanism designed to release the rider in some cases of accidents where the rider is safer if detached from the two-wheeler.
Even though seatbelts have saved many lives over the year ever since their first application in cars and other larger vehicles, the system was considered rather dangerous in the case of two-wheelers as they can sometimes hinder the chances of survival in some types of accidents.
However, Italdesign thinks otherwise and has lots of confidence in their newly patented seatbelt system as their new system is not a completely mechanical one but an intelligent electro-mechanical one. It can detect the type of collision and take the best possible decision to save the rider.
Thoughts On Italdesign's Patented Two-Wheeler Seatbelt
It is a clever design. Considering the inclusion of the backrest, it is safe to conclude that injuries to the spine and rib will be minimised. However, we are not sure how the system will understand the type of crash and the effectiveness of this decision-making in a real-life scenario. We would have to wait for some real-life tests to check the outcome of this safety tech.