- 7 hrs ago Ather Energy To Enter Delhi Market Soon: The 450X To Be Priced Rs 15,000 Lower
- 11 hrs ago Independence Day: India’s Five Most Iconic Cars Which Changed The Landscape Of The Auto Industry
- 11 hrs ago Kia Sonet Spotted For The First Time Post It's World Premiere: Pics & Details
- 12 hrs ago MG ZS Petrol-Powered SUV Spotted Testing Ahead Of India Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- Sports Champions League: Barcelona 3-1 Napoli 4-2 agg: Messi shines as Blaugrana set up Bayern clash
- Movies Bigg Boss 14 Teaser: Salman Khan Is Back With Bigg Boss 2020; Is Seen Farming At Panvel Farmhouse
- News Arjun Meghwal tests positive for coronavirus
- Technology Redmi 9 Prime Next Sale Scheduled On August 17
- Lifestyle Dia Mirza Or Rakul Preet Singh, Whose Handloom Saree Will You Choose For The Next Formal Event?
- Finance Mukesh Ambani Is Now The World's 4th Richest; Amasses $22 Billion This Year
- Travel 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Odisha In August 2020
- Education Kargil Vijay Diwas Quotes In English For Students
Motorcycle sales across the country have outperformed scooter sales for the month of June because of high demand in rural markets, tier 2 and tier 3 cities.
Close to 50 percent of all motorcycle sales have been registered in rural markets across the country. Sales volumes (total) for vehicles have witnessed a 580 percent growth as compared to sales volumes from May this year.
Sales have increased because of the demand for personal mobility in order to maintain social distancing norms. In addition, limited operations of public transport services have also led to an increase of sales.
The two-wheeler segment has shown signs of a speedier recovery as compared to other bub-segments in the industry. Two-wheelers are the most affordable vehicle segment in the country.
The April to June quarter of the current financial year saw domestic sales of two-wheelers reduce by 74 percent, sales of private sales reduce 78 percent, and sales of commercial vehicles reduce 85 percent, all calculated as year-on-year growth.
Sales for motorcycles in specific dropped by 35 percent as compared to the sales of scooters that dropped by 47 percent (year-on-year), and dropped by 73 percent and 76 percent respectively, during the first quarter of the financial year.
Motorcycles accounted for 69 percent of total two-wheeler sales in the country, as compared to 66 percent from last year. Analysts say that the trend is expected to continue over the short term.
A majority of sales volumes are because of the heavy demand for motorcycles that are 125cc and below. Brands have larger portfolios that are offered across rural and semi-urban markets, and have witnessed a 28 percent drop in sales as compared to the 47 percent decline in sales of motorcycles that are above 125cc.
Improving rural economies, and a new found preference for personal vehicles over other forms of transport remain major growth drivers in the two-wheeler segments.
Sales for four-wheelers in the private vehicle segment have witnessed a 58 percent decline for year-on-year growth. The masses however are attracted most to Utility Vehicles, and the segment has witnessed a 0.5 percent increase growth.
Medium and heavy commercial vehicles witnessed a 95 percent decline in year-on-year growth, and light commercial vehicles have registered an 80 percent decline. LCVs are expected to perform better over the short term because of increasing demand fueled by the need for last mile connectivity.
Thoughts About Motorcycles Outperforming Scooters Sales For The Month Of June
While scooters are relatively cheaper than motorcycles, the convenience that the latter offers is unprecedented, especially in rural areas and tier 2 and tier 3 cities. Owners of vehicles travel longer distances in these areas and are more concerned about fuel economy - something that a 125cc does better than a scooter.