- 15 hrs ago New Audi S5 Sportback Teased Ahead Of India Launch: Here Are The Details!
- 16 hrs ago 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa Teased Ahead Of India Launch: Here Are The Details!
- 19 hrs ago New Bajaj Platina 110 ABS Model Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 65,920
- 20 hrs ago BMW M340i xDrive Bookings Open Ahead Of India Launch: Comes Slideways Ready!
- Technology Poco M3 Review: Got The Substance?
- Sports Road Safety World Series 2021: Virender Sehwag's ruthless 35-ball 80* guides India Legends to big win
- News 2 more Indian-Americans appointed to key positions by Biden
- Movies Fatima Sana Shaikh To Star In Hindi Remake Of Aditi Balan's Tamil Hit Film Aruvi
- Education Indian Coast Guard Admit Card 2021 For Navik And Yantrik To Release Soon
- Lifestyle Happy Birthday Janhvi Kapoor: Top 3 Party-Perfect Dresses Of The Budding Fashionista From Roohi Promotions
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Nagaland In March
- Finance Post office Account Changes That You Should Know
The electric two-wheeler segment in India has had a successful financial year 2019-20. Electric two-wheeler sales in India during the financial year 2020 registered a growth of 20.6%, compared to the previous FY 2019.
According to reports, electric two-wheeler sales (scooters and motorcycles) registered 1,52,000 units of sales in FY 2020. This is an increase of 26,000 units compared to FY 2019, when the segment registered 1,26,000 units of sales.
Among the 1,52,000 units of sales in the electric two-wheeler segment, scooters accounted for 97 per cent of the total sales. The remaining 3 per cent sales came in from electric motorcycles. Further breaking it down, the sales report also mentioned that among the electric scooters, low-speed models (the kind which doesn't require registration from transport authorities to be ridden) accounted for 90 per cent of the sales.
The electric two-wheeler sales report was released by the Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles (SMEV). Sohinder Gill, Director General, SMEV, stated:
"The EV industry is taking shape and we believe that despite the COVID-19, FY2021 will be a defining year for all the EV segments. While the EV industry is surely going to face the brunt of COVID-19 like any other automotive business, the clearer skies and the cleaner air in even the worst polluting cities is certainly leaving a permanent impression in the minds of the customers about how they can breathe easy and remain healthy if the society moves towards e-mobility."
2019, saw a number of new electric two-wheelers being introduced in the Indian market. This includes a large number of low-range electric scooters from Ampere, Okinawa and Hero Electric, along with a few premium models from Okinawa and Ather as well.
TVS and Bajaj Auto also became among the first large-scale two-wheeler manufacturers to introduce electric scooters. This includes the Bajaj Chetak electric and the TVS iQube electric, both of which are premium offerings in the segment.
There were also a few motorcycles which went on sale in the Indian market. This included the Revolt RV400 and the Ultraviolette F77.
Thoughts On The Electric Two-Wheeler Sales Report In India for FY 2020
The electric two-wheeler market is growing at a rapid pace in India. With multiple brands, including large-scale manufacturers introducing products in the segment, we expect it to further improve in the new financial year as well.