Electric Two-Wheeler Sales In India Registers 20.6% Growth During FY 2019-20

The electric two-wheeler segment in India has had a successful financial year 2019-20. Electric two-wheeler sales in India during the financial year 2020 registered a growth of 20.6%, compared to the previous FY 2019.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

According to reports, electric two-wheeler sales (scooters and motorcycles) registered 1,52,000 units of sales in FY 2020. This is an increase of 26,000 units compared to FY 2019, when the segment registered 1,26,000 units of sales.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

Among the 1,52,000 units of sales in the electric two-wheeler segment, scooters accounted for 97 per cent of the total sales. The remaining 3 per cent sales came in from electric motorcycles. Further breaking it down, the sales report also mentioned that among the electric scooters, low-speed models (the kind which doesn't require registration from transport authorities to be ridden) accounted for 90 per cent of the sales.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

The electric two-wheeler sales report was released by the Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles (SMEV). Sohinder Gill, Director General, SMEV, stated:

"The EV industry is taking shape and we believe that despite the COVID-19, FY2021 will be a defining year for all the EV segments. While the EV industry is surely going to face the brunt of COVID-19 like any other automotive business, the clearer skies and the cleaner air in even the worst polluting cities is certainly leaving a permanent impression in the minds of the customers about how they can breathe easy and remain healthy if the society moves towards e-mobility."

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

2019, saw a number of new electric two-wheelers being introduced in the Indian market. This includes a large number of low-range electric scooters from Ampere, Okinawa and Hero Electric, along with a few premium models from Okinawa and Ather as well.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

TVS and Bajaj Auto also became among the first large-scale two-wheeler manufacturers to introduce electric scooters. This includes the Bajaj Chetak electric and the TVS iQube electric, both of which are premium offerings in the segment.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

There were also a few motorcycles which went on sale in the Indian market. This included the Revolt RV400 and the Ultraviolette F77.

Electric Scooter & Bike Sales In India For FY 2020: Registers A 20.6% Growth With Low-Speed Scooters Accounting For 90% Of The Total Sales

Thoughts On The Electric Two-Wheeler Sales Report In India for FY 2020

The electric two-wheeler market is growing at a rapid pace in India. With multiple brands, including large-scale manufacturers introducing products in the segment, we expect it to further improve in the new financial year as well.

Most Read Articles

English
Read more on: #sales #auto news
Article Published On: Monday, April 20, 2020, 21:09 [IST]
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Drivespark sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Drivespark website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more