- 1 hr ago Mahindra Bolero Pick-Up Range Crosses 15 Lakh Production Units Milestone
- 1 hr ago Suzuki Jimny India Launch Confirmed For Late-2019: Might Be Rebadged As Gypsy For Indian Market
- 4 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Seeking Tax Relief For Hybrid And CNG Vehicles To Promote Sales Over Electric Vehicles
- 4 hrs ago Hero Electric Optima ER & Nyx ER Electric Scooters Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 68,721
- Technology TRAI Seeks Views From Stakeholders On MNP
- Sports Sakshi Malik gets showcasuse notice from WFI
- Movies Manmadhudu 2 Worldwide Closing Box Office Collections: Nagarjuna's Movie Proves To Be A Disaster
- Lifestyle Important Traits Required For A Strong Professional Relationship
- News Pakistan army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa gets 3-year extension
- Education Karnataka PGCET 2019 Result On August 22; Check Counselling Schedule
- Finance FASTags Mandatory For Toll Payment On Highways Starting December 1
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
An ex-Tesla engineer named Mohan Ramasamy is set to launch a new electric motorcycle in the indian market. Mohan Ramasamy has founded an EV startup called Srivaru Motors. Srivaru Motors' first product is said to be a performance electric motorcycle.
Srivaru Motors was set up fairly recently by Mohan Ramasamy after his return to India. According to a report by Autocar Professional, the ex-Tesla engineer was in America for two decades but is now back in India to change the EV landscape.
The electric vehicle industry is one that has just started its growth and is already at a fairly large size in terms of the number of companies and their workforce. Knowing that the future in the Industry is bright, hundreds of start-ups have been formed in the last few years.
However, one of the few start-ups that changed the way the industry functions is Tesla. Tesla's cars immediately changed the way everyone thought about electric cars. Teslas were good-looking, fast, reliable and even had a long range. The company would also be entering the Indian market in 2020.
Now though, we have news that a bit of Tesla's expertise is going into the development of an electric performance motorcycle in India, thanks to Mohan Ramasamy and his new start-up Srivaru Motors.
The first product from Srivaru Motors will be called Prana, and will join the likes of the Emflux One in the performance electric motorcycle segment in India. The report claims that the electric motor powering Prana will produce a peak torque output of 35Nm.
While power figures were not revealed, performance figures were. The Srivaru Prana can reportedly accelerate from 0-60km/h in just four seconds. The top-speed is said to be above 100km/h and the lithium-ion battery claims to have a range of around 126 kilometres.
The Srivaru Prana will come with switchable riding modes including a reverse mode. The electric motorcycle will be offered in three variants — Grand, Elite & Class. Performance and range seem like the major differentiators between the three variants.
Mohan Ramasamy claimed that the Grand will have a range of 126 kilometres and the Elite will have a range of around 250 kilometres. The 'Class' variant seems to be customisable at the moment. The report claims that the motorcycle is being designed from scratch at the company's facility in Coimbatore.
The very same facility will be producing the motorcycle once development is complete. Srivaru Motors claims to have an annual production capacity of 30,000 units. If required, production can be outsourced to scale it up to two lakh units per annum.
Thoughts On Ex-Tesla Engineer Establishing EV Start-Up To Produce Electric Motorcycle
The report also mentioned that the price for the motorcycle would be similar to a mid-segment motorcycle. If that is the case, then it would be hard to sell it. However, we would give Srivaru Motors the benefit of doubt as it is way too early to speculate on its success.