- 2 hrs ago Mahindra Alturas G4 BS-VI Spied Testing In India Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- 3 hrs ago Bangalore Police To Use Traffic Fines In Improvement Of Infrastructure For Motorists In The City
- 4 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Jimny SUV Will Not Launch In India Anytime Soon: Here’s Why
- 6 hrs ago KTM Duke 790 Launch Date Confirmed For India: Here’s Everything You Need To Know
- Movies Bigil's Producer Refutes Rumours Surrounding Release Date Of Vijay Starrer!
- Sports R Ashwin turns 33: Cricketing fraternity and fans greet India off-spinner on his birthday
- News 10-year-old girl dies of rare brain-eating amoeba contracted while swimming
- Technology Vivo True Wireless Earphone Announced: Specifications And Pricing
- Lifestyle Funny Reasons That Only Mothers Can Give To Discipline Their Children
- Finance Gold And Silver Prices In India Relapse
- Education NIOS Admit Card Released For Class 10 And 12 Sep/Oct 2019 Board Exam
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
A 'manufacturer unknown' prototype scooter has been spotted testing in Pune. Rumors are that it could be the Bajaj electric scooter that is to be retailed under the Urbanite brand. We had reported in February that the Bajaj said that an electric scooter was a possibility. There is no way of telling who the manufacturer is for sure, but the two leading candidates are Bajaj Auto, and Mahindra.
Both Bajaj Auto, and Mahindra have their Research & Development based out of Pune. There little to no evidence that Mahindra, and or Bajaj Auto is working on a new scooter model, the industry however, speculates that the scooter in question belongs to Bajaj.
According to Team-BHP, spy pictures show that the scooter does have what looks like part of the engine on the left rear side, and also what looks like an exhaust system on the right. It also appears to be production ready, albeit under camouflage.
The spy pictures of this scooter also show a tapering tail section that features twin inclined taillights and a wide seat. Both these features are similar to the sketches of the Bajaj Urbanite scooter which were leaked earlier this year. The Urbanite brand is scheduled to be unveiled towards the end of this year, so the timing of spotting on while in tests seems right.
It appears that Bajaj Auto will go re-introduce a petrol scooter model. Bajaj was once famous for a geared scooter model called the Chetak.
The could be a few reasons that Bajaj Auto may have decided to re-introduce a petrol scooter. One, scooters are a large part of the two-wheeler industry and Bajaj want to reclaim lost glory. And two, Bajaj is beginning to feel pressure from investors who want a part of the scooter segment.
Automatic scooters have slowly risen, and are on their path towards dominating the commuter motorcycle segment in the country. Bajaj Auto could be planning to launch an internal combustion engine scooter first, with the short term goal of dominating the petrol scooter markets.
That will give them time to prepare for when the electric scooter segment will start picking up.
Thoughts About The Scooter Spotted Testing
All the evidence points towards the scooter being the Bajaj Urbanite. The electric scooter segment will grow over time and Bajaj knows it. It makes sense to launch an electric now. If this is the Urbanite, the two wheeler scooter segment is in for some serious competition.