- 2 hrs ago Benling Aura Electric Scooter Launching In September: Will Rival The Ather 450 In India
- 3 hrs ago Kia Seltos Top Features: Here Are The Key Features Available On The Kia Seltos SUV
- 4 hrs ago Maruti XL6 Official Accessories Launched: Gets Roof Spoiler, Carpet Mats & More!
- 16 hrs ago Jawa Owners F’rust’rated With Quality Of Motorcycles: Is This The Beginning Of The End?
- Sports Major fire breakout at the house of Sreesanth at Kochi
- Movies Prabhas: I Don't Know If There Will Be Baahubali - 3
- News New Mahatma Gandhi statue now in UK, Manchester city
- Lifestyle LFW W/F 2019 Day 3: Rakul Preet Sizzles In A Metallic Silver Look
- Technology YouTube Announces To Remove Private Messages Feature After September 18
- Finance 8 Key Economic Reforms Brought About By Arun Jaitley During His Tenure
- Education NTA To Conduct JNU Entrance Test JNUET In May 2020
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
BMW Motorrad is reportedly working on an all-new hybrid boxer engine. BMW boxer engines are quite famous in the global motorcycling community for their unique characteristics and unparalleled motorsport heritage. One of the most popular and iconic boxer models in the German motorcycle manufacturer's portfolio is the BMW R 1250 GS (R 1200 GS, previously).
Now, patent images of what is supposedly an electrified BMW boxer engine (regular petrol-powered boxer unit coupled to an electric motor) have been leaked online.
NDTV CarAndBike states that the patent was originally filed in Germany back in 2017, but was published only recently. At this point, not much is known about the new engines - whether it will indeed make its way to production or is just a working prototype for future projects.
From the images, it is evident that the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) power plant is connected to the electric source via an adapter. In a conventional manner, a clutch and transmission unit follow it. From the looks of it, the motor can also act as a generator.
The adapter is modular; meaning that it can be connected to a range of engines and electric motors. In other words, the patent images could hint to various new BMW Motorrad models across multiple segments. In a business point of view, this will bring down manufacturing costs as well.
As mentioned before, BMW Motorrad is popular for its boxer engines. In India, the company sells five boxer models: R 1250 GS, R Nine T, R 1200 RT, R 1200 R and R 1200 RS. Among the five, the BMW R 1250 GS or 1200 GS is easily the most popular offering.
Boxer engines are different than a conventional motorcycle engine by the way the cylinders are arranged. While most multi-cylinder motorcycles have their pistons moving in a near vertical path (arranged longitudinally or transversely with respect to each other), boxer engines follow a 'horizontally-opposed' piston movement. Boxer engines are usually twin-cylinder units.
Thoughts On The New BMW Motorrad Hybrid Engine
BMW Motorrad fans across the globe are left confused as to what these patent images could mean. The global automotive world is heading towards an all-electric future and introducing hybrids are one of the best ways to ensure a smooth shift. Do you wish to see a hybrid BMW motorcycle in the not-too-distant future? Let us know in the comment section below.