TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Jammu & Kashmir: IED Blast Leaves An Army Officer Dead In Rajouri
- Saina And Saurabh Emerge Champions In The National Badminton
- Xiaomi Mi 9 Is The Most Powerful Android Smartphone In The World
- CBDT Notifies Deadline For Mandatory Aadhaar Linking To File Tax Returns
- Tesla Sentry Mode — The Guardian Angel Of Your Tesla
- Jageshwar — The Himalayan Town With 100 Ancient Temples
- Anushka Sharma Opens Up About Catfights In Bollywood
- Ever Faced Emotional Abuse As A Child?
Bajaj Auto is planning to bring back the iconic Chetak geared scooters which were sold between 1972 and 2006. The company stopped its production after the 'outbreak' CVT or automatic two-wheelers, but they have decided to reintroduce them in a bid to create a market of their own.
GaadiWaadi previously reported that Bajaj Auto will be bringing back the Chetak brand sometime in 2019. The upcoming Bajaj Chetak will most likely be a 125cc scooter, priced at around Rs 70,000.
The new Bajaj Chetak will feature a retro design and a right mix of mileage and performance. Some sources claim that the 125cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine makes around 9.5bhp. Unlike the original models, the new Chetak iterations will not come mated to a four-speed gearbox, but a conventional CVT unit.
Features such as a digital instrument cluster with Bluetooth connectivity, USB mobile charging port, alloy wheels, intelligently-designed storage spaces and CBS (Combined Braking System) will be part of the package. We can also expect a disc brake at the front.
Back in 2015, MD of Bajaj Auto, Rajiv Bajaj had stated that the company is not intending to launch an automatic scooter anytime soon. He shared that the company was focussing on strengthening its position in the global motorcycle market rather than entering a new segment.
Once launched, the new Bajaj Chetak will be a strong rival to the Piaggio Vespa, Aprilia SR125 and even the TVS Ntorq. Expected prices are in the range of Rs 65,000 ex-showroom.
Thoughts On The New Bajaj Chetak Model
The market has lately witnessed a new interest in retro-inspired models, and a modern Chetak will be an ideal example in this regard. We expect the new Bajaj Chetak to be a hit on the Indian market as there is already a cult following for its name.