TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- ISIS Co-Conspirator From Tamil Nadu Arrested
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro With Triple Cameras Vs Other High-End Triple And Dual Camera Smartphones
- Mount Harriet National Park Showcases The Richly Diverse Wildlife Of The North Andaman
- Remove Dark Circles With Mint Leaves
- Nana Patekar Will Soon Be In Jail For Harassing Tanushree Dutta, Says Lawyer Nitin Satpute
- New Hyundai Santro First Look Review — The Return Of The Legend
- ISL: FCG Vs MCFC: Preview, Timing, Live Streaming: Goa Keen To Set Record Straight Against Mumbai
- Cases When Insurance Nominee May Not Get Proceeds: All You Should Know
In India, if you have to get a driving licence, you have to be at least 18 years old. In the recent times, underage driving has been a major problem in the country. Now, ETAuto reports that government is working on a new rule to allow youths of age 16 and above to ride legally.
The report states that the government is working on a proposal to issue the driving licence to 16-18-year-old teenagers. People between this age group will be allowed to ride only gearless scooters up to 100cc. The new rule has been considered by the government after analysing teenagers using such scooters illegally.
In 2016, a group of state transport ministries recommended this rule to the central government. As per current rule, 16-18-year-olds can apply for a licence and are allowed to ride gearless two-wheelers below 50cc. But there is no such two-wheeler in the Indian market.
If the government approves the new rule, the teenagers will be allowed to ride legally in India. There are a number of scooters below 100cc in the Indian market. However, to ride two-wheelers above 100cc, geared two-wheelers and light motor vehicles, an individual has to be at least 18 years old.
In the recent times, the traffic police have taken the underage riding very seriously and have taken strict action against offenders. Even the parents were arrested for allowing their underage kids to ride. The new rule will solve this problem and the teenagers can ride legally.
The government has not revealed any timeline for approving the new rule. But we expect the new law to be implemented very soon. Underage riding has been a major problem in the country and government has to act quickly to put an end to this. But it all depends on how the new law is monitored. The traffic cops should make sure that the teenagers do not ride scooters above 100cc.
Thoughts On Teenagers Above 16 Years Old Getting Licence
Underage driving and riding have been one of the biggest problems in the country in recent times. To solve the problem, the government is working on a new rule to allow teenagers between the age group of 16-18 years to ride automatic scooters up to 100cc. It is a good move from the government and will eliminate the problem of illegal riding by teenagers.