- 14 hrs ago Mercedes Developing Heated Seat Belts — Hopes To Motivate People To Use Them
- 14 hrs ago Ssangyong Tivoli Facelift Unveiled In South Korea — Features A New Engine And Tweaked Interiors
- 15 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Bookings Cross The 17000 Mark — India Loves The Korean Bestseller
- 15 hrs ago Skoda Unveils 2020 Superb — Tech Overload
- News With Jaitley ruled out, will Amit Shah be the next finance minister of India
- Sports Vijay Shankar suffers injury scare; gets hit on forearm
- Technology Vivo Z5x, most affordable punch hole display smartphone launched for Rs 14,500
- Education HSC Result 2019 Gujarat: Steps To Check HSC Arts And Commerce Stream Result 2019
- Lifestyle Katrina Kaif's Floral Dress Makes For A Perfect Travel Dress
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
In India, if you have to get a driving licence, you have to be at least 18 years old. In the recent times, underage driving has been a major problem in the country. Now, ETAuto reports that government is working on a new rule to allow youths of age 16 and above to ride legally.
The report states that the government is working on a proposal to issue the driving licence to 16-18-year-old teenagers. People between this age group will be allowed to ride only gearless scooters up to 100cc. The new rule has been considered by the government after analysing teenagers using such scooters illegally.
In 2016, a group of state transport ministries recommended this rule to the central government. As per current rule, 16-18-year-olds can apply for a licence and are allowed to ride gearless two-wheelers below 50cc. But there is no such two-wheeler in the Indian market.
If the government approves the new rule, the teenagers will be allowed to ride legally in India. There are a number of scooters below 100cc in the Indian market. However, to ride two-wheelers above 100cc, geared two-wheelers and light motor vehicles, an individual has to be at least 18 years old.
In the recent times, the traffic police have taken the underage riding very seriously and have taken strict action against offenders. Even the parents were arrested for allowing their underage kids to ride. The new rule will solve this problem and the teenagers can ride legally.
The government has not revealed any timeline for approving the new rule. But we expect the new law to be implemented very soon. Underage riding has been a major problem in the country and government has to act quickly to put an end to this. But it all depends on how the new law is monitored. The traffic cops should make sure that the teenagers do not ride scooters above 100cc.
Thoughts On Teenagers Above 16 Years Old Getting Licence
Underage driving and riding have been one of the biggest problems in the country in recent times. To solve the problem, the government is working on a new rule to allow teenagers between the age group of 16-18 years to ride automatic scooters up to 100cc. It is a good move from the government and will eliminate the problem of illegal riding by teenagers.