- 9 hrs ago Rs 26,058 Crore PIL Scheme Approved By Government Of India; Government Expects 7.5 Lakh Job Opportunities & Rs
- 11 hrs ago Mahindra XUV700 Will Be Available In Five Different Colours; Pricing Starts From Rs 11.99 Lakh
- 13 hrs ago 2021 Kia Carnival Launched In India At Rs 24.95 Lakh: New Limousine Plus Variant Introduced
- 14 hrs ago Citroen C3 Unveiled In India Ahead Of Launch Next Year: Design, Features, Storage Space & More Details
- Lifestyle Parivartini Ekadashi 2021: Date, History And Significance Of This Festival
- News Schools, colleges in Uttar Pradesh to remain shut on Friday, Saturday in view of heavy rains
- Movies Mohanlal's Drishyam To Get An Indonesian Remake, Confirms Antony Perumbavoor
- Sports Dhoni named in 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Finance Air Traffic Increases 34% MoM In August
- Technology Realme Pad Review: Best Tablet In The Sub-20K Price-Point?
- Travel Awesome Beaches In India To Visit This Winter
- Education Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Date, History, Significance And All You Need To Know
The highest motorable road in the world is now in India. It is called the Umling La Pass and has been constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) at a height of 19,300 feet. The Umling La Pass took the title of the highest motorable road from the Uturuncu volcano road in Bolivia. The new road is expected to boost tourism and better the economy in the area.
Many of us have seen hundreds of pictures of people posing with their vehicles at Khardung La, which was considered the world's highest motorable pass. However, it turns out that the road in Bolivia that connects to the Uturuncu volcano was the highest in the world.
Now, India has reclaimed the title with the new Umling La Pass. At a height of 19,300 feet, the new pass leaves behind all the other contenders for the title. The Uturuncu volcano road stands at 18,953 feet while the Khardung La Pass comes in at 17,582 feet.
Umling La is higher than even the base camps of Mount Everest! The North Base Camp in Tibet is located at a height of 16,900 feet while the South Base Camp in Nepal has an altitude of 17,598 feet. The Umling La Pass even surpasses the 17,70 feet altitude of the Siachen Glacier.
The Umling La Pass is noteworthy not just because it brings the title of highest motorable road back to India. It also showcases the brilliance and ingenuity of the BRO. The Border Roads Organisation is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads in all regions near India's borders.
Most of these areas are terrible in nature, with rain, landslides, snow & extreme cold weather. Despite this, the BRO does a stellar job in maintaining these roads, for the locals to use as well as for the army.
The Umling La Pass is yet another feather in BRO's hat. It certainly isn't easy to construct at such high altitudes. Temperatures in the area dip to -40 degrees celsius during winter, and oxygen levels are 50 percent lower than at sea level. Despite this, the Umling La Pass has been constructed and is now thrown open to the public.Umling La Pass connects Chisumle and Demchok to Leh, and also provides easier connectivity to the towns in the Chumar sector. It is also expected to improve tourism and thereby even the economy in the Ladakh region.
Thoughts On Umling La Pass - The Highest Motorable Road In India
The Umling La Pass is one of the biggest achievements of the Border Roads Organisation and it is something to be proud of. It will surely increase tourism in the Ladakh region as ease of access has now increased. However, we do hope that a sense of maturity prevails amongst the tourists and that the serene places in the region are not trashed.