- 1 hr ago Mahindra Stops Production Of TUV300 Automatic — Five Speed Manual Option Only
- 1 hr ago Suzuki To Stop Manufacturing Commuter Motorcycles – Will Cater To Performance Segment Only
- 2 hrs ago Tata Elxsi To Supply China With Autosar-Adaptive Platform
- 2 hrs ago Hyundai Confirms Diesel Engine Upgradation to BS-VI Norms — Will Not Discontinue Diesel Engines
- Technology Lenovo Z6 Lite vs other smartphones with 6GB RAM under Rs. 20,000
- Education SSLC Revaluation Result Kerala 2019: Direct Link To Check Result
- Movies Sai Pallavi Not Part Of Premam 2 Due To This Unfortunate Reason? Deets Inside!
- News In Mandya, Sumalatha wins by over 90,000 votes against Nikhil Kumaraswamy
- Lifestyle 8 Dos And Don'ts After Hair Wash!
- Sports ICC World Cup 2019: Team analysis: New Zealand look to punch above weight, again!
- Finance Markets End Lower Even As NDA Storms Back To Power; Sensex hits 40,000 Pts
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
On what seems to be a highway near Coburg in the city of Melbourne, Australia, a massive signboard falls on top of a moving car. Talk about bad timing; the signboard fell in perfect harmony with the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV's approach. But most of all, the video has instilled a new sense of panic among frequent highway travellers.
The video shared by Nine News Melbourne on Twitter clearly shows the vehicle slowly entering the highway. Halfway through the footage, the large signage board slowly starts tilting forwards after the driver crosses the line of visibility.
With no space or time to react, the 53-year-old lady driver hits the board dead straight. The vehicle loses control, but somehow got back on the road. We are not sure what happened next since the video ends abruptly at that point.
As per reports, the driver escaped serious injury and was released from the hospital in a short period of time. As for the car, it is evident that it has gone through quite a lot. Hopefully, the driver will be able to claim insurance.
The video has already gone viral on various social media platforms and there is also a long thread of comments under the tweet. Many have approached the matter in a humorous way and has even compared the incident to the chain of highway crashes depicted in the popular Hollywood movie, Final Destination 2.
What has happened is way more serious than how it looks. Large signboards put on top of various highways (even in India) undergo close to zero maintenance after their initial installation. If the engineering done on it isn't good, chances for the fixtures to loosen up with age is high.
In most cases, the respected authorities will not make such compromises on public safety. But, in a country where there is a mix of harsh climate and weather conditions, the quality of materials used to put the boards in place could deteriorate over a long period of time.
On the bright side, these sign boards are relatively light. This is also the reason why the driver of the Santa Fe escaped with only minor injuries. However, the risk factor is much greater for those travelling on a two-wheeler.
Watch the video here:
EXCLUSIVE: This incredible dash cam vision just in to the @9NewsMelb newsroom shows the moment a giant road sign plummets from a gantry crushing the 4WD below. Somehow the 53 YO woman escaped serious injury, expected to be discharged from hospital today. pic.twitter.com/3PwxpQeovV— Lana Murphy (@LanaMurphy) January 9, 2019
Thoughts On The Shocking Highway Accident
Before you panic the next time you hit the highway, keep in mind that chances of you facing such a situation is maybe one in a lakh; probably lesser. Still, the internet has got something to click and share. We are also sure that some folks will hit WhatsApp with this to create unnecessary fear among the public.