- 10 hrs ago Ford India Extends Production At Its Chennai Facility Amidst Protest
- 24 hrs ago Mahindra Scorpio N - All Variants Engine & Other Specifications Leaked
- 1 day ago Upcoming Toyota Hyryder Hybrid SUV Teased Ahead Of The Launch
- 1 day ago Bharat NCAP Draft Notification Approved By MoRTH: Everything You Need To Know
- Sports Mithali is an inspiration to many: PM Modi
- News Bypolls: PM Modi hails ‘historic’ win in UP
- Lifestyle International Day Against Drug Abuse: Effects Of Drug Abuse On Teens, Treatment And Helpline Numbers
- Finance Multibagger IT Software Stock Paying 3000% Final Dividend Will Turn Ex-Dividend Next Week
- Movies IIFA 2022: Watch The IIFA Green Carpet And Awards Ceremony Live On Dailyhunt
- Education SBI CBO Final Result 2022 Released, Download SBI Circle Based Officer 2022 Final Result PDF At sbi.co.in
- Technology Week 25, 2022 Launch Roundup: Samsung Galaxy F13, Tecno POVA 3, POCO X4 GT, iQOO U5e, Xiaomi Book S, And More
- Travel 5 Best Easy Long Weekend Getaways From Delhi
The US State of Michigan has approved the sale of digital number plates bringing the total states allowing this to three in total. So what exactly are digital number plates and how do they work?
Michigan has become the third state in the United States to approve the sale of digital number plates sold by California-based firm Reviver. Reviver already sells its digital number plates in two other states in the US - Arizona and California. Reviver claims that these digital license plates are in various states of adoption in 10 more US states. Digital number plates are currently legal to use in all 50 US states as well Canada and Mexico.
So What Are Digital Number Plates And How Do They Work?
Digital Number Plates or Digital License Plates as they are known in the United States, are essentially displays that can be used to show the car's registration as well be used to show messages. These number plates do not feature the expiry date like conventional plates sold in the United States. Instead, when the plates expire, these Digital Number Plates will instead display the word 'Invalid'.
As stated before, these plates from Reviver also can be used to display other messages. The digital license plates feature a tracking solution which alerts the owner whenever the car is on the move. If a vehicle with these digital plates affixed is stolen, owners can report the same on the app, which in turn, will turn the displays on to display the word 'Stolen' to help alert any passersby or car or cop about the current status of the vehicle on the road.
The display-style Digital License Plates can also be used to display Amber alerts, an emergency response system that disseminates information about a missing person (usually a child) with the help of news broadcasts and roadside signs. The display can switch between light and dark modes and allows owners to display personal messages. Owners can also renew their registrations online using the companion app.
Reviver offers two different versions of the digital license plate. The first version is powered by a battery pack and cost Rs 1556.85/month ($19.99) for 48 months for a total of $957.60 (Rs 74,728.71). Those who choose to pay on yearly basis can get the battery-powered digital plate for $215.40/year (Rs 16,809.28) for 4 years for a total of $861.60 (Rs 67,237.11).
The second version of the Reviver Digital License Plate is hardwired to the car's electronics. Monthly payments cost $24.95/month (Rs 1,947.04) for 48 months for a total of $1,197.60 (Rs 93,457.41). Those looking for a yearly payment schedule can shell out $275.40 (Rs 21,491.53) every year for four years for a total of $1,101.60 (Rs 85966.11). Installation charges for both versions of the digital number plate costs another $150 (Rs 11,705.63).
Thoughts On Digital Number Plates
Digital Number Plates or RPlates as Reviver calls them n the surface looks like a really good idea. However, the fact that these plates are display and can be controlled using an app does raise hacking concerns as well as those about allowing unknown persons access to your location data. At the end of the day, it will be up to you to decide whether these plates should adorn the front and rear ends of your car.