TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- 2019 Lok Sabha — All You Need To Know
- Hero ISL To Resume From Jan 25th; Kerala Blasters To Face ATK
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Asus ZenFone Max M2 — Detailed Review
- Why Cheat India — Movie Review
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Benefits Of Drinking Black Coffee
- Vikramshila — The Forgotten University In Bhagalpur, Bihar
If you are planning a road-trip outside Indian borders, it does not involve a complicated process anymore. Obtaining an international driving license is now a no-hassles process. This will help most of the Indians who travel across the globe for leisure or official purposes. One can experience liberation by driving and exploring the country themselves.
Instead of spending time and money on public transportation, one can rent any car and drive in international territories with proper documentation. While one may have an Indian driving license, it will not be valid outside the nation. Therefore, one must apply for an International driving permit to drive a car in different countries for a short period.
Where Does One Apply For An International Driving Licence?
The Zonal Regional Transport Office (RTO), Western Indian Automobile Association (WIAA), and International Traffic Control Association (ITCA) are responsible for issuing the international driver's license to interested individuals.
One must follow specific procedures to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). But before proceeding with the application, there are a few facts about the international driver's license.We explain.
Facts About Obtaining An International Driving License:
- International driver's license is a permit-document that holds a validity of upto 1 year
- It takes anywhere between 2-7 working days to obtaining this driving license, hence, it requires planning well in advance
- Some countries accept Indian driving licenses too. But it is always recommended to obtain an international driver's license too as it helps claim insurance
- The international driving license can be obtained in several languages such as English, Arabic, French, Chinese, Italian, German, Portuguese, Spanish, etc.
- This International driving permit can be used in more than 150 countries
- An international driving license cannot be renewed and one must apply for a new license by following the same procedure again
Where One Can Obtain An International Driving License:
1. Regional Transport Office (RTO)
2. Western India Automobile Association (WIAA)
3. Through the International Traffic Control Association (ITCA)
Regional Transport Office (RTO)
The Regional Transport Office issues driving licenses, gathers all the vehicles' taxes, provides vehicle registrations and also maintains a data of drivers and vehicles. One can find hundreds of zonal offices of RTOs across the nation.
Documents Required To Apply For An International Driving License At An RTO:
- Indian Driving License - One must submit a valid Indian driving license in order to apply for a worldwide permit. Also, the license must be valid until the driver comes back to India with at least a month of validity remaining
- Indian Passport - Without a valid Indian passport that has a six-month-minimum validity left, one will not be allowed to apply for IDP
- Photographs - Four passport sized pictures are required to proceed with the application
- Flight Ticket - One must be ready with his/her onward and return journey flight tickets before visiting the RTO officer
- Visa Copy - A copy of the VISA approved by the country to be visited or a printout of the country's official website mentioning the provision of ‘visa-on-arrival facility for Indians' must be furnished
One is required to carry both the originals and self-attested copies of the documents.
Forms to Be Filled Before Submitting the Application to The RTO Officer:
NOC - The application for the IDP must be made at the same RTO that has issued your Indian driving license. In case you stay in a different region, you must get a ‘No Objection Certificate (NOC)' from your original Regional Transport Office, so that you can apply for IDP at a different RTO. The centralized VAHAN4 software has eased this process in some states.
CMV4 Form - The CMV4 form is available at the Regional Transport Office and must be filled and signed before IDP processing.
Medical - Once the CMV4 form has been filled, one must get the signature from a registered medical practitioner on the same sheet. It is to state that the driver is physically and mentally eligible for driving.
A fee of Rs. 800 has to be paid while submitting the documents mentioned above in the RTO branch.
Western Indian Automobile Association (WIAA):
WIAA offers the international license service only at Mumbai, Pune, and Ahmedabad. Currently, it issues IDP to WIAA members only. One can only apply through the WIAA website if he/she has a valid Indian Passport and driving license from the local issuing authority.
Steps to Apply Through WIAA:
- Apply online to become a member of WIAA or visit their office
- The IDP form can be found on the WIAA website to be downloaded and filled before visiting their office at Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad
- Also, one needs to carry their valid Indian driving license and passport which the authorities at Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad have issued
- Apart from that, four passport-size photographs are required
- A fee of Rs. 1000 has to be paid while submitting the form along with the mentioned documents.
International Traffic Control Association (ITCA)
If you wish to apply through ITCA, the fee will be US$ 34. Although it processes your application in a few hours, ITCA is the most expensive option to apply for this license.
Steps to Follow to Apply for IDP:
- A scanned copy of the Indian driving license must be submitted along with a scanned copy of your Indian passport.
- You must have a passport sized biometric photograph.
Steps To Be Followed If The International Driving License Is Lost:
- The misplacement of International Driver's License must be reported immediately
- If it is lost in India, an FIR must be filed and one must write to the RTO reporting the loss
- If in another country, the local authority as well as the Indian Embassy must be notified immediately.
Thoughts On Getting An International Driving License
Application for an international driving permit is a simple process and this article throws light on, the process, its cost, and the usage of International driver's license. Now one can happily travel abroad and go for a self-ride fearlessly.