TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Operation Khanij Khoj: Why Opening Up Virgin Forests For Iron Ore Is Disastrous For Ballari
- Ayushmann Khurrana's Wife Tahira Kashyap Diagnosed With Stage 0 Breast Cancer!
- Facebook To Soon Unveil New Video Chat Device Called “Portal”
- What Causes Viking Disease And How Does It Develop?
- Agra Has A Red Taj Mahal! Did You Know About It?
- Ford Freestyle To Be Updated With New Features And Colour Option
Windshields cracking is one of the few problems almost every vehicle owner has to face. If the damage is not fixed at the right time, one would have to go through big hassles while getting it repaired.
There are several reasons for a vehicle's windshield to crack. The major cause though is road condition. Avoiding driving on risky roads is the easiest way to avoid windshield damage. We have listed out ten most common reasons for windshields to crack.
1. Glass Quality - The cracking of the windshield also depends on the quality of the glass used for its manufacturing. If the manufacturers use a poor-quality glass in your vehicle, the chances of damage are much higher compared to other. Even a small hit on the windshield could break it.
2. Installation Factors - If windshields are not installed properly on a vehicle, it will lead to cracking. Although such issues are rare cases, one must be careful if his/her vehicle faces the same problem. The problem must be fixed immediately to stay safe.
Also, there are some instances where the size of the windshield does not fit the provided frame. It makes the windscreen loosen up while accelerating at high speeds. Vibrations could also break the glass possibly causing injuries.
3. Gravel Roads - One must be careful while travelling on gravel roads. The debris or stones from such roads can hit your windshield while driving. Most of the time, the gravel itself will be the reason for this damage. Therefore, a safe distance from the vehicle in front has to be maintained on a gravel surface. If possible, find a different route is advisable to reach the destination instead of driving on such unsafe roads.
4. Construction Vehicles - Since construction vehicles carry loads of gravel, soils, and other materials, it is always a best practice not to drive behind them. One has to maintain a safe distance from such vehicles or change the lane if possible.
5. Temperature- Extreme sunlight or cold weather may crack your car's windshield in some cases. The sudden rise or drop in temperatures from hot to cold or vice versa causes damage to the glass of your windshield. Hence, one has to be ready for such temperature changes in your locality. One can follow some precautionary measures such as not parking the vehicle in the direct sunlight.
6. Sunlight - It is one of the most common reasons for windshield crack that goes unnoticed most of the time. The extreme heat makes the outer edges of the glass to expand faster than its centre. If a vehicle undergoes this problem, the full windshield might have to be replaced. Therefore, as mentioned above, it is always a best practice to park the car in a garage or a place with shade.
7. Coincidences - There are a few cases where a windshield can break even when you are not driving your vehicle. It happens because of various external factors. It could possibly be the kids in the neighbourhood or some objects may hit the glass unintentionally while it is parked in an open space.
8. Trees - Try not to park your vehicle under any trees to avoid the direct sunlight. Broken branches or hardened fruits could hit your windshield with force and create damage to it. Although it would safeguard the vehicle from direct sunlight, it is more vulnerable to objects from the tree. Hence, park your vehicle in a garage to avoid chips or cracks caused by trees.
9. Hail - Hail is capable of severely damaging a car's windshield. When it hits the glass with speed and force, it is powerful enough to create chips and cracks on the front of the windshield. In such scenarios, one must drive slowly or change the direction to prevent the damage.
10. Pressure Fluctuations - Try to avoid travelling at extreme speeds on expressways if your car is not equipped to do so. It will cause severe stress on the glass of the windshield because of pressure changes. In some cases, the pressure fluctuates because of other factors such as some external objects pushing up against your vehicle's windshield which may also lead to the glass shattering.
Thoughts On Windshields Cracking And Getting Damaged:
The windshield is a vital part for any vehicle out there and hence, proper care must be taken of it both while driving as well parking your car outside the garage. Although some cracks look small, it requires full replacement in most of the cases. If one is lucky enough, a minor repair will do good on the damage.
It is always a good practice to consult any auto expert who could guide you in this aspect before walking into a repair shop. Sometimes the location of the damage may warrant a replacement from the manufacturer.