- 1 day ago Suzuki Intruder 250 In The Works — Launch Expected During 2020 Auto Expo
- 1 day ago MG Hector Bookings Unofficially Begin — To Rival The Tata Harrier
- 1 day ago Tata Motors Upgrades Safety Features On The Tiago — Made Of Great, But Safer Now
- 1 day ago Renault Launches Arkana Coupe SUV In Russia — Could Be India Bound
- News Gurugram: Muslim man thrashed for wearing skull cap, asked to remove, chant Jai Shri Ram
- Movies India's Most Wanted FULL MOVIE Leaked Online By Tamilrockers To Download In HD!
- Finance Post Election Rally Continues; Sensex Surges 175 Points
- Technology Oppo Reno Z with pop-up camera announced: Price, specs and more
- Sports 'Expected' - Lyon on England fans' reaction to Warner and Smith
- Lifestyle Cannes 2019 Diary: Who Looked The Most Outstanding From The Final Two Days?
- Education LIC AAO Result 2019: Check Result Date And Other Details
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Tata Motors will supply 3,192 units of their Safari Storme to the Indian Army. The Safari Storme SUVs will have reworked suspension, protective underbody and a 4X4 drive system. The vehicle will also feature a complete techno-camo wrap.
The Tata Safari Storme GS800 will replace the old Maruti Gypsy in the Indian Army stable. The GS stands for ‘General Services' according to the Army's acronym, while the 800 refers to the amount of payload the vehicle can carry in kilograms.
The Indian Army's Works division, are looking at different areas where the Safari GS800 can be used. The Safari Storme GS800 will feature a two-door cabin design with air conditioning, a flatbed at the rear which will be used to carry either personnel or equipment. Also featuring at the rear is the tall antenna along with the turret mounted binoculars.
The Tata Safari GS800 also receives subtle mechanical changes. The Army edition of the Safari has a shorter wheelbase as compared to the standard model.
Apart from that, the vehicle also features: a standard 4X4 system, improved suspension setup and extra protective underbody.
The engine used on the Safari GS800 will be a 2.2-litre turbocharged diesel engine producing 154bhp and 400Nm of torque. This engine will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox powering all four wheels.
The Army edition receives the 4X4 system from Borg Warner which offers the on-the-fly shift function. This allows the driver to shift between two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive systems without having to stop. The change in the drive system can be done through a rotary knob mounted on the dashboard.
Thoughts On The Tata Safari Storme For The Indian Army
The Maruti Gypsy had been present of the Indian Army for a long time.The decision to replace the old Maruti Gypsy with the Tata Safari is part of the new requirements set by the Army, which the Gypsy could not fulfil.
Apart from the Techno-camo Safari Storme, the Army is also expected to receive personnel carriers with a matte green finish Safari as reported earlier.
Picture Courtesy: Financial Express