- 4 hrs ago Hyundai Kona Electric SUV Recalled In India: Possible Electrical Deficiency In High-Voltage BMS
- 6 hrs ago Renault Car Discounts & Year-End Benefits: Special Offers Of Up To Rs 70,000 Across All Models
- 8 hrs ago Bike Sales Report For November 2020 In India: Suzuki Motorcycle Records Over 64,000 Units Sales
- 8 hrs ago Car Sales Report For November 2020: Hyundai Registers 9.4% Growth In Terms Of Domestic Yearly Sales
- News DCGI finds no link between COVID vaccine shot and 'adverse' reaction in Chennai volunteer during trial
- Sports India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: Important that I try to win games for India whenever I play: Shardul Thakur
- Movies Kaun Banega Crorepati 12: Amitabh Bachchan Gives Special Name To Contestant Abhilasha Rao Kalwa; Calls Her 'Madam Sir'
- Lifestyle Nushrat Bharucha Exudes Eco-Friendly And Boss Lady Vibes In Her Green Pantsuit And We Loved It!
- Technology Excitel Revises Broadband Plans; Offering High Speed At Rs. 50
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In December
- Finance JP Morgan Cuts EPS On RIL By 7-8%; Sees Limited Upside In Share Price
- Education CAT Answer Key 2020: Check CAT Exam Answer Key 2020 Slot 1, 2 And 3
Swedish automaker Volvo has revealed its plans for hybrid vehicles in India after the implementation of Goods and Service Tax (GST).
Volvo has stated that it will continue to push hybrid and electric vehicles in the Indian market despite high tax rate on eco-friendly vehicles under the GST regime.
Previously Volvo had stated that from 2019, all its new models would have an electric motor apart from the internal combustion engine. The automaker also said that it would bring the new vehicles to India after they are launched in the global market.
The new GST taxation policy puts hybrid vehicles under the same category as conventional cars. So, hybrid cars attract a tax of 28 percent and 15 percent cess, taking the total tally to 43 percent. The GST tax rate is higher than the previous tax rate of 30.3 percent.
Volvo has already announced that it would launch five electric cars between 2019 and 2021. Three models will be from Volvo and two will be high-performance electric cars from Polestar.
Currently, Volvo sells its plug-in hybrid SUV, the XC90 Excellence in the country. Volvo is hoping that the Indian government will reconsider the tax rates on eco-friendly vehicles as it aims to go full electric by 2030.
Volvo Auto India Managing Director, Tom von Bonsdorff said, "Yes, I am bit disappointed with the high GST rate on hybrid vehicles as it is not in line with the government's push for environment-friendly vehicles."
Bonsdorff was speaking at the launch event of the Volvo V90 Cross Country. The luxury crossover station wagon is priced at Rs 60 lakh ex-showroom (India). The vehicle is based on the S90 sedan.
The GST tax rate on hybrid vehicles in India has received a lot of criticism. But the automakers have stated that they will continue to sell such vehicles in the country. But it would be better if government reevaluates the tax rate on hybrid vehicles.