SUV & Luxury Cars Likely To Become More Expensive

Written By:

The Goods and Service Tax (GST) Council has approved to increase the prices of SUVs and luxury cars in India.

The council has decided to hike the cess on luxury vehicles from the current 15 percent to 25 percent. The revision of cess is not expected to be immediate as any hike will require an amendment to the GST compensation law.

suv and luxury car price post gst

So if you are looking to buy an SUV or luxury car, this is the right time to buy. As per ET, a government official aware of the council's discussions said, "The council approved an amendment to the GST law to enable an increase in the rate of levy of compensation cess,"

Recommended Video - Watch Now!
    Jeep Compass Price (Ex-Showroom) In India Variant-Wise - DriveSpark

    The official also stated that the overall view of the council was to have the cess on luxury automobiles at a higher rate so that it can be increased if there is a requirement.

    suv and luxury car price post gst

    As per GST, the rate for cars is 28 percent and cess of 15 percent for luxury vehicles, which sums up to 43 percent. Once the revision is complete, the revised GST for SUVs and luxury cars will be 28 percent and cess of 25 percent which totals to 53 percent.

    Before GST, SUVs attracted a tax rate of 55.30 percent and luxury cars or bigger cars with length more than 4 metres with engine capacity more than 1,500cc attracted 51.80 percent.

    After GST, most of the luxury car manufacturers passed on benefits of GST to customers as prices were reduced.

    DriveSpark Thinks!

    There have been several concerns over higher GST cess on hybrid vehicles, with the increase in cess for SUVs and luxury cars, the government bring it on par with hybrid vehicles.

    Also Read:

    Toyota Fortuner Prices Drop After GST

    Read more on: #auto news

    Latest Auto Expo Images

    Latest Auto Expo Videos

    Get Instant Auto Updates From DriveSpark

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Drivespark sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Drivespark website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more