- 1 min ago 2020 BS-VI Royal Enfield Thunderbird Spotted Testing — Features Relaxed Riding Position
- 14 hrs ago 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon To Be Called Moab In India
- 15 hrs ago First Jawa Bike With Chassis 001 Sold For Rs 45 Lakh — Other Motorcycles For The Same Price
- 15 hrs ago Ducati Panigale V4 25 Anniversario 916 Launched In India — Priced At Rs 54.90 Lakh
- Lifestyle Happy Birthday Katrina Kaif: True Minimalist In The Times Of Fashion Overkill
- News NZ PM Jacinda Ardern fumes at Trump's racist "you can leave" tweets
- Movies Deepika Padukone & Her Sister Anisha Had A Ball At Wimbledon; These Inside Pictures Are Proof!
- Finance Trump's Criticism Of Cryptocurrencies Drags Bitcoin To Levels Below $10,000
- Sports My gold medal in Naples is an answer to my critics, says Dutee Chand
- Technology Honor 20 Review: Top-Notch Mid-Ranger With Few Shortcomings
- Education ICAR AIEEA Result 2019 Likely To Be Released On This Date
- Travel Pangong Lake - The World's Highest Saltwater Lake
According to AutoCar India, Ather Energy has been planning to launch two new scooters by 2021. Sources now confirm that one of these scooter models will be an affordable product, and it will launch with a price that's closer to 125cc Internal Combustion Engine powered scooters.
Ather has an ambitious target of retailing one lakh units by June 2021. To achieve this, the company needs a large increase in production capacity, entry into more markets and, most importantly, an affordable, high-volume product. As is, Ather's most affordable scooter is the Ather 450 which retails at Rs 1.23 lakh ex-showroom (India). That is almost twice as expensive as the current 125cc sellers.
The new, mass-market scooter that Ather Energy is working on is expected to feature cheaper and alternates to premium materials like aluminium. We expect that components like the grab handle, mirror stalks and side stand to be made out of steel or cast-iron.
We could also see Ather simplify the other features like the instrument cluster that displays rider information. While we do not know what kind of motor will be featured, the company has said that it will not witness too much of dilution in performance or range.
The current bunch of 125cc scooters are prided between Rs 55,080 (Hero Destini 125) and Rs 72,920 (Aprilia SR 125). Popular 125cc scooter models like the Honda Activa 125 and TVS NTorq 125 are priced somewhere in between. We expect the new Ather electric scooter to be closer to the price of the Aprilia, for the simple reason that battery tech is still very expensive.
Ather also said, during 2018, that they were also working on an electric motorcycle. This project is still at a research and development level, however the focus for now is expansion in to various cities, and the affordable scooter we've been talking about.
Thoughts About Ather Energy Launching An Affordable Electric Scooter
Ather has just made a lot of people smile. Yes! We need electric vehicles to be priced closer to what the ICE scooters are priced at. Yes, electric vehicles need to be cheaper if they want to sell, and want to create a buzz. We are thrilled that Ather is making the effort to bring electric vehicles to the limelight. We may even buy one!