- 45 min ago Ford Increases The Price Of The BS6 Endeavour For The Indian Market: Details & Specifications
- 1 hr ago 2020 Mahindra Thar Interiors Spotted Ahead Of Unveil On August 15: Spy Pics & Other Details
- 3 hrs ago Prices For The New CBR1000RR-R Fireblade And Fireblade SP Will Leave You Surprised
- 4 hrs ago Kia Sonet SUV Review (First Look): Can It Replicate The Success Of its Larger Sibling In India?
- News Delhi sexual assault case: 12-year-old remains critical, may need Neurosurgery, says AIIMS
- Movies Did Vanitha Vijaykumar Take An Indirect Dig At Meera Mitun’s Degrading Remarks On Popular Actors?
- Sports BCCI, ECB agree to postpone England's white ball tour to India to early 2021, new trip to include Tests
- Lifestyle 12 Simple And Effective Ways To Use Rose Water For Acne
- Technology How To Enable 90FPS Mode In PUBG Mobile On OnePlus Smartphones
- Travel 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Tamil Nadu In August 2020
- Finance RBI To Offer Offline Payments Via Cards, Wallets, Mobiles: Here's How It Works
- Education Kargil Vijay Diwas Quotes In English For Students
According to AutoCar India, Ather Energy has been planning to launch two new scooters by 2021. Sources now confirm that one of these scooter models will be an affordable product, and it will launch with a price that's closer to 125cc Internal Combustion Engine powered scooters.
Ather has an ambitious target of retailing one lakh units by June 2021. To achieve this, the company needs a large increase in production capacity, entry into more markets and, most importantly, an affordable, high-volume product. As is, Ather's most affordable scooter is the Ather 450 which retails at Rs 1.23 lakh ex-showroom (India). That is almost twice as expensive as the current 125cc sellers.
The new, mass-market scooter that Ather Energy is working on is expected to feature cheaper and alternates to premium materials like aluminium. We expect that components like the grab handle, mirror stalks and side stand to be made out of steel or cast-iron.
We could also see Ather simplify the other features like the instrument cluster that displays rider information. While we do not know what kind of motor will be featured, the company has said that it will not witness too much of dilution in performance or range.
The current bunch of 125cc scooters are prided between Rs 55,080 (Hero Destini 125) and Rs 72,920 (Aprilia SR 125). Popular 125cc scooter models like the Honda Activa 125 and TVS NTorq 125 are priced somewhere in between. We expect the new Ather electric scooter to be closer to the price of the Aprilia, for the simple reason that battery tech is still very expensive.
Ather also said, during 2018, that they were also working on an electric motorcycle. This project is still at a research and development level, however the focus for now is expansion in to various cities, and the affordable scooter we've been talking about.
Thoughts About Ather Energy Launching An Affordable Electric Scooter
Ather has just made a lot of people smile. Yes! We need electric vehicles to be priced closer to what the ICE scooters are priced at. Yes, electric vehicles need to be cheaper if they want to sell, and want to create a buzz. We are thrilled that Ather is making the effort to bring electric vehicles to the limelight. We may even buy one!