- 1 day ago Maruti Suzuki Eeco Becomes Safer: Receives A Price Increase
- 1 day ago Honda CB Shine BS-VI Engine Specs Leaked: India Launch Expected This Year
- 1 day ago MG Hector 10,000 Units Production Milestone Crossed: 6,000 SUVs Already Delivered
- 1 day ago Triumph Diwali Discount Offers: Festive Benefits Available On Select Models
- News Which constituencies are voting today; Complete list of polls and by-polls on Oct 21
- Movies Badshah Responds After Dr Zeus Accuses Bala Filmmakers Of Having Plagiarized ‘Don’t Be Shy’
- Sports Tearful Murray soaks up European Open win
- Technology How To Pin Live Score On Android Homescreen
- Finance 4 High Interest Rate Fixed Deposits You Can Buy Online
- Lifestyle 7 Sweet And Adorable Things Siblings Do ForEach Other While Growing Up
- Travel 8 Amazing and Affordable Winter Vacation Destinations In India
- Education 5 Things Students Should Know About MHRD Internship Scheme
Italian auto giant Piaggio is in the process of studying the 150cc motorcycle segment in India and are hopeful of launching an Aprilia 150cc motorcycle in the country. They hope to achieve this within the next 18 months.
According to IndianAutosBlog, Diego Graffi, Managing Director and CEO of Piaggio Vehicles, confirmed that the company was working towards launching an India specific Aprilia scooter that will fall in the 150cc to 200cc segment. He also spoke about the future of Aprilia motorcycles in the 150cc segment.
Mr Graffi said, "Having a brand like Aprilia and not playing in the motorcycle market is unaffordable. It can help us expand our motorcycle portfolio as well as power-train options, and thus, investing in Aprilia is a must."
Piaggio showcased the Aprilia RS 150 and the Aprilia Tuono 150 at the Auto Expo 2018. They have been focused on studying the market and the competition.
In a statement about studying the 150cc motorcycle segment, and studying their competition in the segment, Mr Graffi said, "We need to bring the right product to India by seeing the right balance between performance, features, and price. We are studying our competitors and have done some prototype testing recently. If everything goes in the right direction we have planned, we should be able to launch the motorcycle in India in the next 18 months too."
The Aprilia RS 150 and the Aprilia Tuono 150 are built around an aluminium perimeter frame. Both machines feature a 150 cc single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-valve, fuel-injected engine. The engine delivers 18bhp of power @10,000rpm and 14Nm of torque @7,500rpm. Both engines are mated to 6-speed manual transmissions.
The ergonomics on the RS 150 are more forward-leaning than the Tuono 150. The RS 150 features a full faring, while the Tuono 150 features a semi-fared look. Once launched, the Aprilia RS 150 will compete with the Yamaha YZF-R15 V3.0, and the Aprilia Tuono 150 will rival the Yamaha MT-15.
Thoughts About Aprilia Entering The 150cc Motorcycle Segment
This is something Aprilia should have done a long time ago. Any foreign manufacturer wanting to create a foothold in the Indian markets has to start with the 150cc segment. That's where the volumes are. Better late than never we guess, but Aprilia should concentrate on competing in the 300cc to 400cc segments. That's where the real competition is, and that's where KTM rules the roost.