- 13 hrs ago Hyundai Creta SX Executive Variant: Details Leaked Ahead Of India Launch
- 1 day ago New Lexus NX SUV Revealed Globally: India Launch Likely
- 1 day ago New Driving Licence Rules: Here’s How To Apply Learner Licence Online
- 1 day ago Audi e-Tron Arrives At Showrooms; India Launch On The Cards!
- News Mizoram man, head of world's largest family with 39 wives, 94 kids, dies at 76
- Sports Big challenge coming up: Tom Latham on WTC final against India
- Education AP TET Syllabus 2021 Released, Notification Expected Soon
- Finance 8 Stocks To Be In News Or Buy On Monday, June 14, 2021
- Movies Hrithik Roshan Extends His Support To A Foundation And Donates Masks To Frontline Warriors
- Technology Week 24, 2021 Launch Roundup: iQOO Z3 5G, OnePlus Nord CE 5G, Nokia C20 Plus, Realme C25s And More
- Lifestyle Dil Bechara Actress Sanjana Sanghi’s Pyjama Set Is A Vibrant Outfit For Dull Mornings; Find Its Price Inside!
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Nagaland In June
An 'electric vehicles only' zone is set to be established in proximity to the Statue of Unity in Gujarat. The Statue of Unity and the area around is all set to become an electric vehicles only zone as per recent announcements from the Statue of Unity Area Development and Tourism Governance Authority (SOUADTGA).
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 05 June said that steps were being taken to run only electric buses, cars and two-wheelers in Kevadia. Kevadia is the town in Gujarat where the Statue of Unity is located. Back in 2019, Narendra Modi had taken the decision to prioritize only electric vehicles in Kevadia.
The Statue of Unity holds the distinction of being the tallest statue in the world. It stands at a height of 182-metres and depicts Sardar Vallbhbhai Patel. It is located at a distance of 100-kilometres from Vadodara city.
Now SOUADTGA is all set to develop the area around the statue into an electric vehicles only zone. The plan is to make this change in a phased manner. Locals living in nearby areas will be given assistance to buy electric vehicles. The employees of SOUADTGA working in and around the area will be given subsidy for the purchase of an electric vehicle.
Beneficiaries of this subsidy will have to guarantee that vehicles powered by internal combustion engines wouldn't be operated in the area. As a part of the plan, 50 e-rickshaws will be allowed to operate in the area and women would be preferred as the rickshaw drivers.
The developmental authority will conduct training workshops for these women drivers. For these electric rickshaws, charging stations as well as workshops will be set up in the area. What e-rickshaws will be used in the area hasn't been revealed yet.
SOUADTGA was quoted as saying, "It may be mentioned here that there are no polluting industries at Kevadia, and there are two hydroelectric power plants, which generate abundant environment-friendly electricity. Reserving the area only for electric vehicles will reduce air and noise pollution and add a feather to the charm of this unique tourist destination."
The size of the area that is expected to become an electric vehicle only zone isn't known yet. However, the government has been promoting Kevadia as an eco-friendly city for a long time now. It would definitely be a great achievement if zero-emissions are achieved in the city.
The developmental authority hasn't specified anything about tourist vehicles coming in from other cities. But going by the authority's move to get several e-rickshaws plying in the area, it could follow a similar model to the Taj Mahal. A parking area could be created a couple of kilometres afar off for all vehicles, and the electric vehicles and e-scooters could ferry tourists.
Thoughts On Statue Of Unity & Surrounding Areas Becoming An Electric Vehicle Only Zone
The government seems to be taking electric vehicles very seriously indeed. Along with encouraging manufacturers to develop and produce more electric vehicles, the government is also taking up initiatives to set up these pollution-free zones. Now it is time for the Indian market to get some awesome electric vehicles.