- 1 hr ago Kia Seltos Twitter Hashtag On Launch Day Is A Hashflag, Not A Hashtag
- 1 hr ago Kia Seltos Launched In India With Prices Starting At Rs 9.69 Lakh
- 2 hrs ago Kia Seltos Launch Highlights: Prices Start At Rs 9.69 lakh
- 2 hrs ago Hyundai Venue 1.5-Litre Diesel Engine Variant Launch Confirmed For Before BS-VI Deadline
- Movies Astonishing Shots Of Sudeep's From Pailwaan Trailer Speak Volumes Of His Hard Work!
- News Rajiv Gandhi assassination convict Nalini's parole extended by 3 weeks
- Sports Gauff enjoys beating Barty in 'calm before the storm'
- Technology Airtel Plans To Launch Xstream Smart Box And Stick
- Finance 4 Differences Between MCLR And Repo-Rate Linked Loan Products
- Lifestyle International Dog Day: History And How To Celebrate This Day
- Education NTA Releases Exam Schedule For JEE Main NEET, UGC NET, CMAT, GPAT And DUET 2020
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
A 13-member team from the Bombay Sappers were flagged off for their expedition on Kargil Vijay Diwas. The 13 soldiers will be riding from Dras, in Kargil district, till Pune over a period of 22 days.
Along the way, the soldiers will be meeting and interacting with veterans of the Kargil war to thank them for their role in the war. Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 26 July of every to commemorate the taking of two high outposts in the Kargil region.
It was on this day in 1999 that the Indian Armed forces successfully pushed back Pakistani troops to regain control of two outposts that are essential to safeguard India. The entire Kargil war took place because of the Pakistani Forces' attempts to push back Indian forces and cause them to retreat from the Siachen Glacier.
However, the Indain forces fought back bravely and successfully achieved their aim. The Bombay Sappers, otherwise known as the Bombay Engineer Group was one of the units involved in the battle and played a major role in the Kargil War.
The Bombay Sappers was formed in 1819 while India was still under British rule. The unit turns 200-years-old this year. The motorcycle expedition was decided upon in order to celebrate both events - The 20th anniversary of the Kargil victory and the 200th anniversary of the Madras Sappers.
The 13 riders are soldiers of varied ranks and positions. The team will ride Royal Enfield Himalayan motorcycles from Dras to Pune, as the headquarters of the Bombay Sappers is located in Pune.
The Bombay Sappers will stop at field units to interact with soldiers. They will also meet and greet veterans of the Bombay Sappers and Veer Naris to thank them for their service to the unit and the nation. The ride is expected to end in Pune on the 15th of August 2019, coinciding with the Independence Day.
Thoughts On 13 Soldiers Riding From Kargil To Pune In Honour Of Kargil Vijay Diwas
No soldier is an ordinary man. Well, in this case, the Bombay Sappers would turn out to be an extraordinary unit. The unit has received awards such as the Victoria Cross and the French Legion of Honour for its service under the British Army before Independence.
It has also received the Paramvir Chakra, Ashoka Chakra post independence. The Bombay Sappers have also been recognised for their efforts and bravery during peacetime as they participated in international sports events, rescue operations, humanitarian operations, etc. Cheers to the 200 years of its existence and kudos to them for their service to the nation.