- 55 min ago New Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupe Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 1.33 Crore
- 1 hr ago Royal Enfiled Meteor 350 Expected India Launch By June: Will Rival The Jawa 350
- 2 hrs ago Kia Sonet: Expected Launch Date in India, Price, Specs, Features & Competitors Explained
- 5 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Introduces Finance Scheme Offers For New Car Buyers: Repayments With Flexible EMIs
- Sports Serie A fate to be known on May 28
- Movies Preksha Mehta's Suicide Note Will Leave You Teary-Eyed; Cousin Says She Was A Vibrant Girl
- Technology Samsung Galaxy M01s Confirmed Under Development Via Wi-Fi Alliance
- Finance Axis Bank Jumps Up To 15%; Top Gainer On Nifty
- News 'Overall stable and controllable': Amid continuing standoff, China on situation at India border
- Travel Karnataka To Open Religious Places From June 1
- Lifestyle Melasma Chloasma: What Are The 6 Factors That Cause It? Symptoms, Treatments And Prevention
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
A 13-member team from the Bombay Sappers were flagged off for their expedition on Kargil Vijay Diwas. The 13 soldiers will be riding from Dras, in Kargil district, till Pune over a period of 22 days.
Along the way, the soldiers will be meeting and interacting with veterans of the Kargil war to thank them for their role in the war. Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 26 July of every to commemorate the taking of two high outposts in the Kargil region.
It was on this day in 1999 that the Indian Armed forces successfully pushed back Pakistani troops to regain control of two outposts that are essential to safeguard India. The entire Kargil war took place because of the Pakistani Forces' attempts to push back Indian forces and cause them to retreat from the Siachen Glacier.
However, the Indain forces fought back bravely and successfully achieved their aim. The Bombay Sappers, otherwise known as the Bombay Engineer Group was one of the units involved in the battle and played a major role in the Kargil War.
The Bombay Sappers was formed in 1819 while India was still under British rule. The unit turns 200-years-old this year. The motorcycle expedition was decided upon in order to celebrate both events - The 20th anniversary of the Kargil victory and the 200th anniversary of the Madras Sappers.
The 13 riders are soldiers of varied ranks and positions. The team will ride Royal Enfield Himalayan motorcycles from Dras to Pune, as the headquarters of the Bombay Sappers is located in Pune.
The Bombay Sappers will stop at field units to interact with soldiers. They will also meet and greet veterans of the Bombay Sappers and Veer Naris to thank them for their service to the unit and the nation. The ride is expected to end in Pune on the 15th of August 2019, coinciding with the Independence Day.
Thoughts On 13 Soldiers Riding From Kargil To Pune In Honour Of Kargil Vijay Diwas
No soldier is an ordinary man. Well, in this case, the Bombay Sappers would turn out to be an extraordinary unit. The unit has received awards such as the Victoria Cross and the French Legion of Honour for its service under the British Army before Independence.
It has also received the Paramvir Chakra, Ashoka Chakra post independence. The Bombay Sappers have also been recognised for their efforts and bravery during peacetime as they participated in international sports events, rescue operations, humanitarian operations, etc. Cheers to the 200 years of its existence and kudos to them for their service to the nation.