- 9 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Swift S-CNG Launched At Rs 7.77 Lakh - Most Powerful CNG Hatchback In India
- 13 hrs ago Mahindra Scorpio Classic Unveiled - Gets More Kit
- 15 hrs ago Honda Activa 7G Launch Soon - Teaser Out
- 18 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Swift CNG - Dealers Start Taking Unofficial Bookings Ahead Of The Launch
- Finance Buy This Tata Group Stock For A Dividend Yield Of 4.65%, Company Is Repaying Debt
- Movies Kaun Banega Crorepati 14: Satyanarayana Subbaraya Wasn’t Able To Answer THIS Rs 50 Lakh Question, Can You?
- News Salman Rushdie "alive" after attack | Top points
- Sports K1000 Rally: Aishwarya Pissay, the cynosure of all eyes
- Technology Microsoft Lays Off 2,000 Employees In Just Two Months; Find Out Why
- Education MAH CET MBA/MMS 2022 Admit Card Released: Download Hall Tickets From cetcell.mahacet.org
- Travel Sakrebailu Elephant Camp Shimoga Timings, Ticket Fee, Attractions and How to Reach
- Lifestyle Alia Bhatt, Anushka Sharma, Kareena Kapoor Khan: Bollywood Guide To Maternity Fashion
The compact SUV segment of the Indian car industry continued to grow exponentially compared to last year's pandemic ravaged numbers with 28,009 SUVs.
Year-over-Year numbers of compact SUVs in India more than doubled in May 2022 compared to the same period in 2021. Sales of compact SUVs in May 2021 were up by 14,148 units (102.07 per cent) which was more than the number of compact SUVs sold in the same month last year. 13,861 compact SUVs had found new homes in May 2021.
|Rank||Name||May-22||May-21||Growth (%) YoY|
However, month-over-month sales were down by just over 10 per cent compared to April. Sales of compact SUVs were down by 3,219 units (10.31 per cent) in May compared to April 2021 when 31,228 units found new owners.
The Hyundai Creta continued to dominate the segment in India with the South Korean carmaker selling 10,973 units of the compact SUV in the country. Y-o-Y sales of the Creta grew by 45.78 per cent (3,446 units) compared to May 2021, when Hyundai sold only 7,527 units of the compact SUV. However, M-o-M sales were down by 1,678 units (13.26 per cent) compared to April 2022, when Hyundai sold 12,651 units of the Creta.
The Kia Seltos was the second-best selling compact SUV in the country in May 2022 with 5,953 units finding new homes last month. Y-o-Y sales of the Seltos were up by 39.19 per cent compared to May 2021 when Kia only sold 4,277 units of the compact SUV in India. M-o-M sales of the Seltos were down by 1,553 units (20.69 per cent) compared to April's sales numbers of 7,506.
The Mahindra Scorpio rounded off the top 3 with 4,348 units of the SUV hitting the roads in May 2022. Y-o-Y sales of the Scorpio were up by 144 per cent (2,556 units) compared to May 2021, when only 1,782 units of the Mahindra SUV reached new buyers. M-o-M sales of the Mahindra Scorpio were also up by 60.32 per cent (1,636 units) compared to April 2022's 2,712 units.
In fourth spot was the MG Astor with the Chinese-owned British marque selling 2,022 units of the compact SUV in May 2022. Sales of the MG Astor were up by a whopping 712.05 per cent (1,773 units) compared to the previous month's 249 units.
In fifth spot was the Skoda Kushaq with the Czech carmaker selling 1,806 units of the compact SUV in May 2022. Sales of the Kushaq were down by just over 25 per cent (607 units) compared to April 2022, when Skoda sold 2,413 units of the compact SUV.
Thoughts On The Compact SUV Segment in India
The compact SUV segment continues on the path of recovery post the pandemic. With Toyota set to enter the segment in less than a month's time, and Maruti set to follow with its own version of the hybrid compact SUV soon after, this segment is set to heat up in the coming months, which is a good thing both fr the segment and the industry in general.