- 7 hrs ago Tata Motors Has Registered Total Sales Of 62,192 Units In November 2021
- 15 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki To Launch 5 New SUVs Within Next 3 Years
- 1 day ago Spy Pics: Undisguised Yezdi Roadking Adventure Spotted Testing
- 1 day ago BMW Concept XM SUV Unveiled — Previews Most Powerful M Division Vehicle
- Technology List Of Smartphones To Expected To Launch In December 2021
- News Manjinder Singh Sirsa quits as DSGMC president, joins BJP
- Movies Marakkar Twitter Review: Mohanlal-Priyadarshan's Magnum Opus Sets History!
- Sports Abu Dhabi T10: Hasaranga chokes Bangla Tigers with a fifer after Kohler-Cadmore's sparkling 96
- Education MPSC Subordinate Services Prelim Result 2020 Out, Check MPSC Subordinate Services Pre STI ASO Results Here
- Lifestyle 7 Awesome And Easy Ways Of Treating Problems Associated With Dry Skin In Winters
- Finance Vodafone Idea Shares Continue To Gain Post Prepaid Plan Tariff Hike; Spikes 20% Intra-day
- Travel Budget Friendly Winter Places To Visit Around Shillong
German automotive giant Volkswagen has revealed its latest electric vehicle, the ID.5 coupe SUV at its transparent factory facility in Dresden, Germany.
The new Volkswagen ID.5 will be available in three guises — Pro, Pro Performance and the top-spec GTX — when it arrives in showrooms across Europe in early 2022. The new VW ID.5 will be manufactured alongside its ID.3 and ID.4 siblings at the company's production facility in Zwickau.
Speaking at the global unveiling of the ID.5, Ralf Brandstätter, VW's CEO stated, "The ID.5 is electric, sporty and elegant. Our premium SUV coupé with an all-electric drive marks another milestone in our Accelerate strategy. It offers locally carbon-neutral driving enjoyment for a discerning customer group. We are breaking into a completely new market segment with this model."
The all-new Volkswagen ID.5's three variants — Pro, Pro Performance and GTX — all sport 77kWh battery packs and either single or dual motors. The Pro sports a single electric motor that churns out 172bhp and offers a top speed of 159km/h and a 0-100km/h sprint time of 10.4 seconds. The mid-spec Pro Performance also features a single motor on the rear axle which kicks out 201bhp allowing the mid-spec ID.5 to hit 100km/h from standstill in 8.4 seconds. The top speed of the Pro Performance remains limited to 159km/h.
The top of the range GTX variant of the ID.5 offers dual motors (one mounted on each axle) and all-wheel drive. The dual-motor setup of the ID.5 GTX bumps the power output up to 295bhp which in turn allows this sporty variant of the coupe SUV to accelerate from 0-100km/h in only 6.3 seconds and onwards to a top speed of 180km/h.
The maximum possible from the single motor ID.5's is 520 kilometres. The range of the VW ID.5 GTX drops down to 489 kilometres on a single charge. The VW ID5 lineup supports 135kW fast charging which allows the 77kWh battery packs to recoup 80 per cent of their capacity from empty in under 30 minutes.
The new ID.5 sits on the same MEB platform as the ID.4 and the new coupe SUV is almost identical in terms of dimensions to the ID.4, with a length of 4,599mm and a wheelbase that measures 2,600mm.
Volkswagen claims that the sloping roof design of the ID.5 coupe SUV has meant that rear headroom has dipped by 12mm. The Volkswagen ID.5 offers slightly more space in the boot compared to the ID.4 with 549 litres, an increase of six litres over its sibling.
In terms of design, the new ID.5 is the ID.4 in a new coupe-style body with a swooping roof. The air vents on the low front grille can be shut automatically depending on the cooling required by the electric powertrain setup. This along with the aerodynamic coupe design means that the slipperiest of the ID.5's has a drag coefficient of just 0.26Cd. The GTX model features more aggressive front bumper and more aero at the rear to add to its sporty performance.
Inside, the new VW ID.5 is almost identical to the ID.4. with the 6-inch instrument and 12-inch infotainment displays drawing most of the eyeballs.
Thoughts On The Volkswagen ID.5
The all-new Volkswagen ID.5 sees the carmakers jump headfirst into the world of electric coupe SUVs. The new model is the latest pure electric vehicle from VW and shows just how aggressive the Germans are becoming in their bid to catch up with Tesla.