- 33 min ago Nissan Magnite Vs Renault Kiger Sales Comparison For April 2021: Car Sales Report
- 47 min ago TVS Motor Company COVID-19 Relief: Contributes Over Rs 40 Crore & 2,000 Oxygen Concentrators
- 1 hr ago Tata Tiago CNG Hatchback Spied Testing Ahead Of India Launch Details: Pics & Details
- 3 hrs ago Yamaha YZF-R7 Teaser Video Released: Replacement For The Yamaha R6
- News Coronavirus cases: Goa government urged to open COVID-19 centres for differently-abled
- Sports India women's hockey captain Rani, six teammates recover from COVID-19
- Finance Top Crypto News Round-Up; Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin, And Cardano
- Technology Amazon Mother’s Day Quiz Answers: Here's Your Chance To Bag Rs. 25,000 Amazon Pay Balance
- Movies Ahead Of Mother's Day Reese Witherspoon Dedicates A Poem To Struggling Moms
- Lifestyle Tere Naam And M.S. Dhoni Actress Bhumika Chawla Exudes Soothing Vibes With Her Latest Outfit
- Education Mother’s Day 2021: Some Beautiful Quotes To Express Love For Your Mother
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh In May
The Volkswagen ID.4 has been awarded the World Car of the Year 2021. The World Car Awards has awarded the Volkswagen ID.4 with the World Car of the Year 2021 title. The Volkswagen ID.4 is an electric crossover launched in 2020, and is sold in the European, North American, and Chinese markets.
The World Car of the Year is the most prestigious award that can be conferred to a car. A jury made up of 93 reputed and distinguished automotive journalists vote for the car they think to me most-deserving of the title. This year, the votes were tabulated by KPMG before the Volkswagen ID.4 was announced the winner.
The initial list of contenders for the top award consisted of 24 vehicles from across the world. After much testing and deliberation, the top three finalists were chosen. The top-three finalists for the 2021 World Car of the Year award were the Honda e, Toyota Yaris and Volkswagen ID.4.
On 20 April, 2021, the Volkswagen ID.4 was pronounced the winner of the World Car of the Year award. The ID.4 is the fifth Volkswagen car to be pronounced the World Car of the Year. In 2009, the Volkswagen Golf Mk VI took the title. In 2010, it was the Volkswagen Polo. In 2012, the Volkswagen UP! took the title, and in 2013, it was the current-gen Volkswagen Golf that won the prestigious title.
The Volkswagen ID.4 is the second all-electric car to take the award, as the 2019 WCOTY award went to the Jaguar I-Pace. However, it is the first electric car from Volkswagen to get the WCOTY title.
The Volkswagen ID.4 is a crossover SUV positioned by Volkswagen as a mass-market electric vehicle. Advertisement campaigns for the Volkswagen ID.4 had the catchphrase - "A car for the millions, not the millionaires."
The Volkswagen ID.4 is based on the I.D. Crozz and I.D. Crozz II concept cars that debuted at the 2017 Shanghai Auto Show and Frankfurt Auto Show respectively. The production version of the crossover was revealed in September 2020 as the ID.4.
In the European market, the Volkswagen ID.4 is available with three electric motor options. The least-powerful variant comes with an output of 145.9bhp, while the mid-range variant gets 167.6bhp and the top-spec variant comes with 201.2bhp. The top-spec version comes with a range of 520 kilometres, thanks to its bigger 77kWh battery pack.
In the North American market, the ID.4 is currently available in just the 201.2bhp variant. VW plans to launch a more powerful, 302bhp variant with AWD later this year. In China, Volkswagen sells the ID.4 in a 167.6bhp variant and a 201bhp variant. The German auto giant has a few other variants of the ID.4 in development and are expected to be launched soon.
The Volkswagen ID.4 comes with features like regenerative braking, LED lighting all around, a 10-inch display for infotainment, augmented heads-up display, etc.
Ralf Brandstätter, CEO of Volkswagen Cars was quoted as saying, "We are particularly pleased about our ID.4 being named "World Car of the Year". Not only because it is one of the most important car awards in the world, but because the jury also honored a great idea and a great team. The first ID. Model for the key markets of Europe, China and the U.S. carries our electric offensive around the world. A convincing car, a great idea, and the "World Car of the Year" award? That goes well together for us!"
Thoughts On Volkswagen ID.4 Being Named World Car of the Year 2021
The Volkswagen ID.4 is a revolutionary car in many ways. It offers great performance, brilliant range and is not very expensive when compared to other similar EVs. It has been selling well so far. Now that it has been named the 2021 World Car of the Year, we expect sales to increase. Volkswagen won't launch the ID.4 in the Indian market anytime soon. We might have to wait for the Indian EV market to mature before we start seeing such cars in India.