- 11 hrs ago EV Charger Installation In Delhi Becomes Easier: New Application Process Implemented
- 15 hrs ago HOP Leo & Lyf Electric Scooters Launched In India At Rs 65,500
- 19 hrs ago 2021 BMW S 1000 R Launched In India At Rs 17.90 Lakh
- 20 hrs ago 2021 Maruti Suzuki Celerio Design Patent Images Leaked Ahead Of India Launch: Details
- Movies Mithun Chakraborty Birthday Special: Did You Know He Was A Huge Fan Of Elvis Presley In His Childhood?
- Technology Flipkart Big Saving Days Sale: Discount Offer On New Apple iPhones
- Sports Euro 2020: Hungary 0-3 Portugal: Ronaldo makes history as holders stage late show
- News Deaths due to COVID-19 in the United States hit 600,000, equal to yearly cancer toll
- Finance Fitch Affirms Adani Ports at 'BBB-'; Outlook Negative
- Education ISRO Offering 3 Free Online Courses For Students And Professionals
- Lifestyle Sonam Kapoor Ahuja Exudes Vintage Vibes With Her Gorgeous Ivory-Hued Midi Dress; Gives Purse Goals Too!
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Mizoram In June 2021
Mahindra is the talk of the town lately due to the company's plans for revamping its SUV line-up in the country. The company has started to move in a new direction by launching the all-new Thar.
According to the recent report from TeamBHP, Mahindra is now said to be working on a base-spec variant of the Thar SUV. The report also suggests that the new base model will be using a more fuel-efficient 1.5-litre three-cylinder diesel engine.
Additionally, the report also says that the entry-level trim could be offered as 2WD as standard without an optional 4WD. However, it will continue to be offered with automatic and manual gearbox options.
The company looks to aim the new product towards buyers who would want an affordable and fuel-efficient Urban SUV. As result, the new base-spec Thar is expected to carry a price tag of under Rs 8 lakh, ex-showroom.
Apart from the new powertrain and lighter mechanicals, the upcoming base variant of the Thar will remain the same in terms of design and most of the features carried forward from its 4WD counterpart.
However, because of the missing mechanicals and less powerful powertrain, the new base-spec SUV will be 100 kilograms lighter and will feature a smaller wheel size than the outgoing model, says the media report. All these are still rumours and is yet to be confirmed by the company.
The power and torque figures of the brand's all-new 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine are yet to be revealed. Expect it to produce much lower than the outgoing 2.2-litre engine.
The new-gen Thar is offered in petrol and diesel engine options. This 2.0-litre T-GDi mStallion turbo-petrol engine produces a maximum of 150bhp and a peak torque of 320Nm. While the 2.2-litre mHawk diesel unit dishes out 130bhp and 300Nm of torque.
Engines come mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. All varaints come equipped with Shift-On-Fly four-wheel-drive system with mechanical locking differentials as standard.
The base-spec Thar could be offered in AX and LX variants at the time of launch. The feature list on the base-spec model would include a touchscreen infotainment system, semi-digital instrument cluster, a multi-function steering wheel with mounted controls, climate control and more.
Thoughts About The Mahindra Thar New Base Variant In The Works With New Engine
The Mahindra Thar base variant, if launched, will be aimed at urban users. They would not require 4WD for inside city commutes, and removing the mechanicals will free up space, and reduce cost and make the SUV more fuel-efficient as well.