- 9 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki Car Prices Increase — Company’s Third Price Hike Of 2021 Coming Soon
- 13 hrs ago 2021 Mini Hatchback, Convertible & John Cooper Works (JCW) Launched In India At Rs 38 Lakh
- 17 hrs ago Nissan Magnite Exports Commences To Nepal, Indonesia & South Africa: Details
- 20 hrs ago 2021 Jaguar F-Pace SVR Bookings Open In India: High-Performance SUV Coming Soon
- News Viral video: Groom rests hand on shoulder of bride, Check what happens next
- Technology List Of Best Over-Ear Headphones To Buy In India Under Rs 5,000
- Sports WTC Final, Day 5: Southee removes openers as India reach 64/2 at stumps; contest goes into reserve day
- Movies Mohanlal's Marakkar Arabikadalinte Simham To Be Exclusively Screened On All Screens In Kerala!
- Finance Sebi Exempts Heineken International From Open Offer In UBL Case
- Education Teaching Tips And Skills For Engaging Students In Online Classes
- Lifestyle #InThisTogether: Josh App Partners With Fortis For Mental Health Awareness Campaign
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Uttarakhand In August
Mahindra is the talk of the town lately due to the company's plans for revamping its SUV line-up in the country. The company has started to move in a new direction by launching the all-new Thar.
According to the recent report from TeamBHP, Mahindra is now said to be working on a base-spec variant of the Thar SUV. The report also suggests that the new base model will be using a more fuel-efficient 1.5-litre three-cylinder diesel engine.
Additionally, the report also says that the entry-level trim could be offered as 2WD as standard without an optional 4WD. However, it will continue to be offered with automatic and manual gearbox options.
The company looks to aim the new product towards buyers who would want an affordable and fuel-efficient Urban SUV. As result, the new base-spec Thar is expected to carry a price tag of under Rs 8 lakh, ex-showroom.
Apart from the new powertrain and lighter mechanicals, the upcoming base variant of the Thar will remain the same in terms of design and most of the features carried forward from its 4WD counterpart.
However, because of the missing mechanicals and less powerful powertrain, the new base-spec SUV will be 100 kilograms lighter and will feature a smaller wheel size than the outgoing model, says the media report. All these are still rumours and is yet to be confirmed by the company.
The power and torque figures of the brand's all-new 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine are yet to be revealed. Expect it to produce much lower than the outgoing 2.2-litre engine.
The new-gen Thar is offered in petrol and diesel engine options. This 2.0-litre T-GDi mStallion turbo-petrol engine produces a maximum of 150bhp and a peak torque of 320Nm. While the 2.2-litre mHawk diesel unit dishes out 130bhp and 300Nm of torque.
Engines come mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. All varaints come equipped with Shift-On-Fly four-wheel-drive system with mechanical locking differentials as standard.
The base-spec Thar could be offered in AX and LX variants at the time of launch. The feature list on the base-spec model would include a touchscreen infotainment system, semi-digital instrument cluster, a multi-function steering wheel with mounted controls, climate control and more.
Thoughts About The Mahindra Thar New Base Variant In The Works With New Engine
The Mahindra Thar base variant, if launched, will be aimed at urban users. They would not require 4WD for inside city commutes, and removing the mechanicals will free up space, and reduce cost and make the SUV more fuel-efficient as well.