- 14 hrs ago Mercedes-AMG Cars To Be Made In India Starting With AMG GLC 43 Coupe
- 15 hrs ago New Helmet Rule Imposed In Karnataka: Revised Guidelines For Children On Two-Wheelers
- 17 hrs ago Gemopai Electric Scooters Discounts For October 2020: Festive Season Benefits Up To Rs 5,500
- 17 hrs ago New TVS Ntorq 125 ‘SuperSquad’ Edition Scooter Inspired By Avengers Characters: Priced At Rs 85,992
- Finance Qualcomm And Jio Join Efforts For 5G
- Education SBI Clerk Mains Exam Date 2020 On October 31
- News Chinese soldier held by India after he strayed into Ladakh handed back
- Technology Flipkart Big Billion Days End Date Sale 2020: Heavy Discounts On Budget Smartphones Under Rs. 10,000
- Lifestyle This Indian-American Girl Discovery Can Lead To The Development Of COVID-19 Drug
- Movies Bigg Boss 14 October 20 Highlights: Gauahar, Hina's Argue With Sidharth, Rubina Feels Disrespected
- Sports Dynamo Kiev 0-2 Juventus: Morata gets Pirlo off to winning start in Champions League
- Travel Best Beaches To Visit In India In November
Volvo has announced that all its cars going forward will come with a limited top speed of 180km/h. This top speed limiter will be standard across all new Volvo cars sold globally in the future.
The company has introduced this feature as a method to reduce injuries and fatalities from driving cars at high speeds. The company has also introduced a ‘Care Key', which allows Volvo drivers to set additional speed limiters. This can be used when owners are lending their cars to others, including family members, young and/or inexperienced drivers.
Volvo hopes that the combinations of the 180km/h speed limiter with the 'Care Key', sends out a strong message to drivers about the dangers of speeding.
The company stated that since the announcement of the top speed limiter, they have been faced with controversies, with many questioning the rights of carmakers to impose such a technology.
However, Volvo rebutted this by stating that above certain speeds, in-car safety technology and car infrastructure becomes no longer sufficient to protect drivers from injuries in the case of an accident. Hence the decision was taken to proactively go-ahead and limit the top speed of their cars to 180km/h.
Malin Ekholm, Head of Volvo Cars Safety Centre, stated:
"We believe that a carmaker has a responsibility to help improve traffic safety. Our speed-limiting technology, and the dialogue that is initiated, fit that thinking. The speed cap and ‘Care Key' help people reflect and realise that speeding is dangerous, while also providing extra peace of mind and supporting better driver behaviour."
Apart from speeding, Volvo has also identified two other areas of concern: Intoxication and Distraction. Volvo could now be working on introducing safety technology for these areas as well, given their aim of achieving zero traffic injuries and fatalities.
Thoughts About Volvo Cars With Top Speed Limited To 180Km/h
Volvo is the world's leading car manufacturer in terms of vehicle and driver safety. The Swedish brand is known to produce the world's safest cars. Volvo has pioneered a number of safety features on cars, with top speed limiter being its latest safety technology.