- 1 hr ago Coronavirus Pandemic: Indian Army Modifies Bus To Carry Coronavirus Patients Along With Medical Aids
- 1 hr ago Jeep To Introduce A Compact SUV In Indian Market: Will Rival Hyundai Venue
- 3 hrs ago Coronavirus Lockdown: Pitstop Offers Free Vehicle Maintenance For Essential Service Providers
- 3 hrs ago Harley Davidson 1200 Custom BS6 Models Launched In India Starting At Rs 10.77 Lakh Ex-Showroom
- Sports Injury-hit Dipa Karmakar eager to exploit Tokyo Olympics postponement
- News 34-year-old coronavirus survivor says staying at home is the only option
- Movies Hrithik Roshan And Sussanne Khan Celebrate Son Hrehaan's Birthday; Family Joins Them Over Video Call
- Lifestyle On The 2 Years Of Rangasthalam, Samantha Akkineni’s Fashion In The Movie
- Technology Honor 30S Price Tipped Just Ahead Of Official Launch
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In South India In April
- Finance Sensex Plunges 1400 Points As Coronavirus Infections Rise
- Education Coronavirus Outbreak: NTA Helpline Numbers Released For JEE Main & NEET Aspirants
Land Rover has launched the all-new Defender in the Indian market at a starting price of Rs 69.99 lakh, ex-showroom (India). The new 21st century Land Rover Defender will be offered in both the 90 (3-door) and 110 (5-door) variant in the Indian market.
The new Land Rover Defender will be imported into the Indian market via the CBU (Completely Built Unit) route. Land Rover has also confirmed the start of bookings for the Defender in the Indian market, with deliveries scheduled to begin from August 2020.
Rohit Suri, President & Managing Director, Jaguar Land Rover India Ltd. (JLRIL), said:
"The New Defender embraces its rich lineage in a modern, 21st-century package that makes it extremely capable, on and off-road. With the entry of this icon to India, we are extremely proud to offer to our customers, the most capable and durable product in the Land Rover portfolio, while still retaining the authenticity and character of the original."
The new Defender will be offered in five trim-levels on both the 90 and 110 variants. This includes the base, S, SE, HSE and the top-spec First Edition. All variants and trims, however, will come packed with a host of features and accessories, allowing customers to customise their Defender accordingly.
Both the 90 and 110 models in the Defender's lineup will be offered with a single-engine option. This comes in the form of a 2.0-litre four-cylinder BS6-compliant petrol engine producing 292bhp and 400Nm of torque, paired with a standard automatic transmission unit. However, Land Rover could bring in a larger and more powerful 3.0-litre petrol engine on the Defender at a later stage as well.
The original Land Rover Defender was known to be the most off-road capable machine, with the new SUV being no different. The new Defender comes equipped with all the off-roading tools, including independent air suspension and coil spring suspension and the most advanced Terrain Response 2 system.
The new Defender is capable of carrying a maximum payload capacity of 900kg, water wading depth of 900mm and a towing capacity of 3.2 tonnes.
The air suspension system on the new Defender SUV can raise itself by 145mm during extreme off-roading. The suspension system will then automatically lower the ground clearance once back on tarmac as well, by up to 50mm.
Apart from the off-road capabilities of the new Land Rover Defender, the SUV also comes with a host of premium and luxury features and equipment. This includes connectivity technology with OTA (over-the-air) updates, 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system, 12.3-inch fully-digital instrument cluster, heads-up display and a host of others as well.
Thoughts On The Land Rover Defender In India
The Land Rover Defender is one of the most capable and iconic off-roaders in the world. The latest-iteration of the SUV was globally unveiled last year and has finally made its way to the Indian market.
The Land Rover Defender doesn't have any direct rivals in the Indian market, although the Jeep Wrangler does come close.