- 53 min ago Ford Cars Midnight Surprise Campaign Introduced In India: Here Are All Details
- 1 hr ago Tata Motors Model-Wise Car Sales Report For November 2020: Here Are The Details!
- 2 hrs ago New Toyota-Maruti Suzuki SUV Coming Soon: To Rival The Hyundai Creta & Kia Seltos
- 16 hrs ago KTM Bicycles Launched In India By AlphaVector: Prices Start At Rs 30,000
- Movies Swara Bhasker Hails Diljit Dosanjh Over His Ugly Twitter Spat With Kangana Ranaut!
- Finance RBI Monetary Policy: Experts Say In Line With Expectations
- News When will every Indian get free COVID vaccine, Rahul Gandhi asks PM Modi
- Technology Vivo Y52s Launch Pegged For December 10; Dual-Cameras, Dimensity 720G SoC Tipped
- Sports India vs Australia | Will Pucovski set for exciting challenge against India bowlers
- Lifestyle Meet The Bijlees’: An Extensive Guide About Electricity For School Kids
- Education Amazon Jobs: Amazon On a Hiring Spree Engaging More Than 1.2 Million People, Recruiting 2,800 Workers On A Daily Basis
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In December
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has announced that starting 1st January 2021, FASTag will be made mandatory for all four-wheelers across the country. This includes old vehicles, which fall under the 'M' and 'N' category of motor vehicles (four-wheelers), sold on or before the 1st December 2017.
As per the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, FASTag had been made mandatory since December 2017, for all four-wheelers at the time of registrations. The rules further state that going forward the fitness certificate will be renewed only after the fitment of FASTag.
It also stated that a valid FASTag will be required while getting a new 3rd party insurance, which will capture the details on the FASTag ID. This new process is scheduled to be applicable with effect from 1st April 2021.
The government is said to have taken steps to ensure the availability of FASTags across a number of physical locations across the country. Motorists can also purchase the FASTag ID online, within the next two months.
MoRTH has announced that going forward, it plans to make all toll plaza payments to be made exclusively via electronic means. This according to the government will reduce the waiting time at highway tolls and ensure a seamless movement of vehicles.
FASTag is a prepaid RFID(Radio Frequency Identification) tag which is fixed on the front windshield of four-wheelers. The tag automatically deducts the toll charges, allowing to make direct payment as soon as the vehicle closes in at a toll plaza. The FASTag can either be prepaid or linked to a savings account, allowing vehicles to pass through tolls, without the necessity of stopping.
The FASTag currently comes fixed with the purchase of a new car. People with older cars can purchase the FASTag from a number of locations, including a few banks or even online, depending on their convenience.
Thoughts On FASTag Being Made Mandatory For Old Vehicles
FASTag is an electronic toll payment method, which has been implemented on all new cars in the market. Now, with the government's plans to make the entire toll payment, exclusively via electronic means, all older vehicles will also need to mandatorily get the RFID tag.