- 1 day ago Kawasaki Launches The Ninja ZX-25R In Indonesia: Details & Specifications
- 1 day ago Volkswagen Polo & Vento TSI Limited-Edition Models Removed From The Company Website
- 1 day ago KTM RC 200 Modified With Parts From Autologue Design: Wrapped By Zed One
- 1 day ago Tata Motors Launches Car Safety Accessories: Air Purifiers, Separation Films And More
- Technology Upcoming Samsung Rumored Smartphones Expected To Launch
- Movies Independence Day 2020: 6 Web Series That Will Rekindle Your Passion For India
- Sports England vs West Indies, 1st Test: Holder lauds Gabriel and Blackwood after Windies take series lead
- News Rajasthan crisis: 75 MLAs attended CM Gehlot's meeting
- Finance RIL's New Deal: Qualcomm To Invest Rs 730 Crore In Jio Platforms
- Lifestyle Radhe Shyam Actress Pooja Hegde Sure Knows How To Make A Yellow Splash With Her Outfits
- Travel 12 Best Places To Visit In Himachal Pradesh In July 2020
- Education USA To Withdraw Student Visas If Classes Move Fully Online
Car sales in India slowly resumed operations in mid-May 2020 after a shut down of nearly two months in the country, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. With car companies slowly restarting production, sales and service operations across India have also started.
The car sales report in the month of May 2020, witnessed a drop of 86% in the Indian market. Having said that, here are the sales figures from each state in India and their contribution to the country's total four-wheeler sales last month.
At the top of the list is Karnataka, registering the highest four-wheeler sales last month. The state registered 5,847 units of sales in the month of May 2020, which is a 66.5% drop compared to the same month last year when it registered close to 17,500 units of sales.
Following Karnataka is the state of Kerala, which came in second position with 3,282 units of sales. The southern state of Kerala registered a decline of 80 per cent when compared to sales in May 2019, which stood at 16,569 units.
Uttar Pradesh registered the third-highest car sales in the month of May 2020. Four-wheeler sales in the state registered a 90 per cent decline falling from over 27,000 units in May 2019 to just 2,622 units in the previous month.
Tamil Nadu comes in fourth with 2,227 units of sales in May 2020, while Rajasthan completed the top-five with 2,062 units of sales. Both Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan registered similar declines of around 86 per cent dropping from 16,500 and 14,800 units, respectively.
|Rank||State / UT Car Sales||May'20||May'19||Growth (%)|
|24||Jammu And Kashmir||101||7,082||-98.57|
|29||D & N and D & N||34||340||-99.00|
Maharashtra which registered the highest car sales in May 2019 with 28,687 units fell to seventh place during the previous month. The state registered a drop of 93.46 per cent with just 1,875 units of sales.
Assam, on the other hand, which usually doesn't sit in the top-10 list came in above Maharashtra in sixth position. The state registered 1,923 units of sales last month, which is still a drop of around 72 per cent from 6,881 units during May 2019. Delhi, Punjab and Haryana completed the top-10 states in eighth, ninth and tenth position, respectively.
Thoughts On The State-Wise Car Sales Report For May 2020
Car sales in India have taken a massive hit amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Car brands are still experiencing low customer sentiments to purchase new vehicles post the lockdown. However, demand seems to be slowly on the rise, with carmakers expecting a couple of months before sales can get back to near-normalcy.