- 1 hr ago Hero Xpulse 200 BS6 Arrives At Dealerships Ahead Of Launch: Here Are All Details
- 2 hrs ago Jawa Motorcycles Said To Be Working On Electric Bikes For India: Unveil Expected Only By 2021
- 17 hrs ago New-Generation Kia Carnival Interiors Revealed Officially: Expected To Arrive In India By 2022
- 19 hrs ago New Nissan Compact-SUV World Premiere Date Revealed: Upcoming B-SUV Concept To Rival Hyundai Venue
- Lifestyle 8 Lip Products That Every Woman Must-Have In Her Make-up Bag
- Movies Indian Idol All Set To Return With Season 12; To Have Virtual Auditions Due To COVID-19
- Finance Mukesh Ambani Now Richer Than Elon Musk, Google Founders
- Technology Beware Of TikTok Pro Malware Circulating On WhatsApp
- Sports Ben Stokes took cigarette break to calm nerves ahead of World Cup final Super Over
- News Coronavirus: Arvind Kejriwal launches second plasma bank for COVID-19 patients in Delhi
- Travel 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Rajasthan In July
- Education USA To Withdraw Student Visas If Classes Move Fully Online
At the BMW Group Plant Chennai, sustainability is the top priority. Through a host of initiatives, BMW Group Chennai is taking an active lead towards a green and sustainable future. While significant savings have already been achieved with dedicated efforts, the plant is committed to convert to 100% green electricity by the end of the year. The plant has also launched new initiatives for water conservation and tree plantation.
Thomas Dose, Managing Director, BMW Group Plant Chennai said, "For BMW Group Plant Chennai, the term ‘sustainable production' means investing in our future. Since 2007, our plant has consistently reduced its consumption of non-renewable resources through modern technology, stringent processes and efficiency. This commitment is integrated through clear actions in our business model as well as production processes and has helped us in significantly reducing our footprint. We know the challenges and are rising to meet them by continuously setting higher goals. For BMW Group Plant Chennai, this is the key to a green future."
"A strong culture at BMW Plant Chennai further promotes sustainability. Respect for resources is a part of BMW values and a principle we live by every day. While the management is taking steps to introduce sustainable innovations throughout the infrastructure and facilities, associates are playing an important role by promoting an attitude that is pro-conservation and makes a huge difference in day-to-day working," he further added.
Currently, the plant takes care of 40% of its electricity requirements through a 1350 kW Solar Photovoltaic system. They are working towards becoming a 100% green electricity plant by the end of 2020. Up to 50% of savings have been achieved in light usage through LED lights installation. Besides this, fresh air fans have been replaced by energy-efficient high-volume low-speed (HVLS) fans, saving 30% electricity in the ventilation system.
The plant's water conservation measures are based on three methods: use of rainwater, conservation of freshwater and water treatment. BMW Group Plant Chennai has rainwater harvesting ponds at two locations with a total capacity of 14,25,000 litres. Tanks have been installed across the site to collect rainwater for this purpose. More than 3,40,000 litres of rainwater has been collected so far and utilized for water leak test and other requirements.
The Chennai Group plant also has a green area of 7.7 acres, which is around 25% of the total area. A green belt has been set up with around 2,000 trees of 31 different species as part of a biodiversity pilot project. In another recent tree plantation drive, around 4,000 local species trees are being planted. On World Environment Day every year, the entire team comes together to plant trees inside as well as outside the facility.
Thoughts About The BMW Group Plant Chennai In Sustainable Manufacturing
It is a great method that BMW Group plant Chennai has applied to save and sustain the environment. If every manufacturer keeps contributing to saving the environment in some way or the other it will be of great help for a better future.