- 40 min ago Ford India Halts Production Due To Semiconductor Shortage: Here Are All Details
- 1 hr ago Honda Grazia 125 Sports Edition Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 82,564
- 1 hr ago 2021 Moto Guzzi V85 TT Globally Revealed: Features Slight Improvements & Updated Electronics
- 2 hrs ago New Lexus LS500 Nishijin Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 2.22 Crore
- News Terror module that received arms dropped off by Pakistan drones busted
- Lifestyle Bhumi Pednekar Stuns Us With Her Retro And Contemporary Pants Style; Pick Your Favourite Look
- Movies Amitabh Bachchan's Energy Levels Are Better Than Those Of People Half His Age: Anand Pandit
- Finance Doorstep Banking Services From Nationalised Banks: How To Register?
- Education IIFT MBA Admit Card 2021 Released At iift.nta.nic.in
- Sports Sindhu and Saina look for better show after listless display in first event of Asia leg
- Technology BSNL To Offer Its Services In Delhi And Mumbai From March 1: Report
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Uttarakhand In January 2021
Indian commercial vehicle manufacturer, Ashok Leyland has announced the renaming of its UK-based subsidiary Optare Group to 'Switch Mobility'. The new brand name for the UK based company also reveals Ashok Leyland's global EV plans for the future.
Under the new identity, Switch will look to expand its global EV footprint and introduce new modes of greener mobility. Ashok Leyland is said to be looking at various different options for its EV future, all of which is expected to come under the ‘Switch' brand name.
Dheeraj Hinduja, Chairman of Ashok Leyland Limited, said:
"Optare is adopting a new identity and logo as "Switch", which signals our strategic ambitions in Electric and Green Mobility. Towards this, Ashok Leyland is examining various options to bring the entire EV initiatives of Ashok Leyland under Switch Mobility Ltd."
Hinduja, further mentioned that with the new ‘Switch' brand, the company is looking at growth opportunities in the global LCV and e-bus segments, which they expect will grow rapidly with a projected annual growth rate of 25% by 2030. The company has also stated that they are open to financial partnership and strategic tie-ups in order to capture the growing market for commercial electric vehicles.
The new brand name of ‘Switch' will build on the success of Optare, which already has introduced electric commercial vehicles in its home market. The company is currently operating 150 electric buses, while also having recently delivered 30 electric double-decker buses for metroline in London. The company expects that this will help create a good base, when Switch plans to expand to Europe, India and other new markets around the world.
Vipin Sondhi, Managing Director & CEO, Ashok Leyland Ltd, added:
"Ashok Leyland is a pioneer in delivering innovative commercial vehicles and mobility solutions. With our proposed new structure, Switch will be positioned to become the potential global arm of Ashok Leyland focused on Electric Vehicles and Green Mobility Solutions."
"This proposed step will enable Ashok Leyland to focus on the development of new electric vehicle platforms through Switch including next-generation Buses, PODs and E-LCVs and swiftly scale up the EV business."
Dr Andrew C. Palmer, Chairman of Optare plc, commented:
"Optare plc has a well-deserved reputation for class-leading products and customer service. The reorganisation of the Optare group both allows us to continue to serve customers with the portfolio of products we have today, whilst positioning Switch Mobility Ltd at the forefront of the commercial EV space, which should benefit the entire organisation."
Thoughts On Ashok Leyland's Global EV Plans
Ashok Leyland is one of the largest commercial vehicle brands in the country. With the EV segment growing rapidly, it makes sense for the company to get into the electrification process early, which will allow them to expand and grow rapidly, with the rising demand in the future.