- 8 hrs ago Range Rover Sport Launched With New 2.0-Litre Petrol Engine — Prices Start At 86.71 Lakh
- 9 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Launched — TVC Targets Younger Buyers
- 10 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Variants Explained In Detail — The Best Model Of The Lot!
- 10 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Launched — Top Five Features And Everything You Need To Know
- Technology Best smartphones with 5000 mAh battery to buy in India
- Lifestyle Sonam Kapoor Ahuja’s Modern Suit At Cannes 2019 Has A Timeless Touch And She Looks Flawless
- News Weather today: Isolated rains in Bengaluru, Delhi to experience wet day
- Movies Cannes 2019: Sonam Kapoor's White Tuxedo Gets A Twist; Her Boss Lady Look Is On Point!
- Sports Archer thinks IPL experience gives him World Cup advantage
- Finance Savings Account Vs Debt Funds: Which Is Better To Maintain Emergency Fund?
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019: 92.47% Students Passed
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Tata Motors is said to be working on an all-electric version of the Tiago hatchback. The Tata Tiago electric hatchback is expected to be introduced in the market, sometime in 2020.
Tata Motors has already developed the electric versions of the Tiago and the Tigor products. However, the company did not introduce it into the market, mainly because of the lack of charging infrastructure in the country.
On the sidelines of the Tata Harrier launch, Guenter Butschek, MD, Tata Motors, told Money Control, "You might see us launching an electric vehicle in 2020. We are not committing to it at the moment."
The company even showcased the Tiago electric at the 2018 Auto Expo. The electric car was powered by a 85kWh producing 200Nm of peak torque. Tata Motors claims a 0 - 100km/h in 11 seconds and a top speed of 135km/h and a range of 100km on a single charge.
Tata Motors recently launched the Harrier SUV in the market. The Tata Harrier comes with a starting price of Rs 12.69 lakh, ex-showroom (Delhi). The Harrier is based on the brand's new OMEGA architecture, which can also be used to host hybrid and fully-electric powertrains as well.
Apart from Tata Motors, companies like Mahindra, Maruti Suzuki, Nissan and Honda are planning to enter the electric vehicle segment in the country. Nissan India has confirmed the launch of their best-selling electric vehicle, the Leaf in the country. The Nissan Leaf electric has been confirmed for an Indian launch in 2019.
Maruti Suzuki has already started testing prototypes of their electric Wagon R in India and is expected to launch it in 2020 as well. The brand has partnered with Toyota to develop new technologies for electric vehicles in India. Maruti Suzuki is also working on a new electric battery plant, which will supply electric batteries for their upcoming electric vehicles.
Thoughts On The Tata Tiago Electric Launch In India
Tata Tiago already has the electric version of the Tiago and Tigor, which they supply to EESL along with Mahindra's e-Verito. The fully-electric Tiago once launched in the passenger vehicle segment will rival the upcoming Maruti Wagon R electric. Currently, the company is working on introducing their premium hatchback, the 45X in the Indian market.