- 40 min ago Renault Kwid Neotech Edition Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 4.29 Lakh
- 2 hrs ago Suzuki Gixxer 155 & 250 New Colours Launched In India: Pics, Price & Other Details
- 3 hrs ago 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta Facelift Leaked Ahead Of India Launch: Pics & Other Details
- 6 hrs ago Mini Convertible Sidewalk Edition Launched In India: Priced At Rs 44.90 Lakh
- Movies KBC 12: Covid Frontline Worker Shares Experiences; Amitabh Bachchan Recalls Touching Childhood Story
- Education NEET Result Date 2020: When NEET UG Exam Result 2020 Will Be Declared?
- Sports IPL 2020: BCCI Anti-Corruption Unit chief admits bookies have reached UAE
- Finance Indian Railways Launches Portal For Freight Service
- Technology Realme Buds Wireless Pro, Buds Air Pro To Launch In India On October 7
- Lifestyle Dilip Kumar And Saira Banu Give Us A Heartwarming Twinning Fashion Moment In Their Pink Outfits
- News Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel tests positive for COVID-19
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Madhya Pradesh In October
Tata Motors is all set to introduce the Gravitas SUV in the Indian market in February 2020. The Tata Gravitas will be the brand's flagship SUV based on the popular Harrier offering, launched early this year.
Once launched in India, the Tata Gravitas will initially be available in a single-engine option. This includes a re-tuned version of the same engine as on the Harrier, a 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel unit.
The engine on the Gravitas churns out a higher power output of 173bhp and 350Nm of torque; compared to 140bhp on the Harrier. The engine is further mated to a standard six-speed manual gearbox.
However, ever since the launch of the Harrier, there have been reports suggesting the development of a petrol engine from the brand as well. This brand-new in-house developed petrol engine is expected to be introduced very soon.
According to CarDekho, the new petrol engine comes in the form of a 1.6-litre unit, which is now expected to debut on the Tata Gravitas. This engine could also come with a turbocharged unit, similar to most of its rivals in the SUV segment.
The company, however, is yet to finalise the engine development, hence its specification still remains unknown. Tata Motors is, however, working towards introducing the new petrol engine in the Indian market in the second half of 2020.
The new petrol engine will be introduced on both the Gravitas and the Harrier SUVs at around the same timeframe. However, this timeline is again yet to be confirmed by Tata Motors. We also expect, Tata Motors to offer the petrol engine with different states-of-tune for the Harrier and the Gravitas; similar to its diesel engine offering.
Apart from the petrol engine, the company is also said to be working on the introduction of an automatic transmission system for both cars. The Tata Harrier and the Gravitas will initially be introduced with a six-speed torque-converter automatic gearbox.
However, reports suggest that the company is working on developing a DCT transmission as well. Once developed, the new DCT transmission will replace the torque-converter units on both the models.
The Tata Gravitas was showcased as the ‘Buzzard' earlier this year at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show. The Gravitas is a seven-seater SUV based on the Harrier, carrying similar design, features and equipment, along with a few additional as well.
The seven-seater SUV is, however, part of the same OMEGA architecture as the Harrier and will also be part of Tata Motors' latest ‘Impact 2.0' design language.
Thoughts On The Tata Gravitas Petrol Variant Launch In India
The Tata Gravitas will be positioned a segment above the Harrier, alongside the Hexa SUV. It will also be priced at a premium compared to the Harrier; in the range of Rs 15 lakh, ex-showroom. Once launched in February 2020, the Tata Gravitas will take on the likes of the Ford Endeavour, Toyota Fortuner, Mahindra Alturas G4 and the Skoda Kodiaq in the Indian market.