- 9 hrs ago Mercedes Developing Heated Seat Belts — Hopes To Motivate People To Use Them
- 10 hrs ago Ssangyong Tivoli Facelift Unveiled In South Korea — Features A New Engine And Tweaked Interiors
- 10 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Bookings Cross The 17000 Mark — India Loves The Korean Bestseller
- 11 hrs ago Skoda Unveils 2020 Superb — Tech Overload
- Technology Best smartphones with fingerprint sensor available under Rs. 5,000
- Sports World Cup Warm-Up: Young Hashmatullah stars as Afghanistan stun Pakistan in a thriller
- News Delhi weather: Dry weather likely in capital, Heat to ramp up next week
- Lifestyle Katrina Kaif's Floral Dress Makes For A Perfect Travel Dress
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Education HSCAP Allotment Result 2019 Kerala Released
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
The new Toyota Supra will be officially introduced to the world soon and it is the best BMW sportscar you will be able to buy. Why? Because the 2020 Toyota Supra shares its chassis with the new-gen BMW Z4 roadster.
Now, Toyota Mexico has accidentally leaked the 2019 Supra's commercial video on Twitter, ahead of its official debut at 2019 Detroit Auto Show. Post its translation to English, this is how the tweet reads:
"Our new #Supra arrived in Japan!, and this is the story that #AkioToyoda tells us about its return."
The new Supra is still doing its test runs and media drives in a camouflaged avatar, and this is the first time it was seen in all its glory. The car you see here is the successor to the A80 Toyota Supra model which was discontinued back in 2002. The new Supra model was developed by the Japanese brand's motorsport division — Toyota Gazoo Racing.
Unlike the original model, the 2020 Toyota Supra is not powered by the legendary drool-worthy 2JZ-GTE engine, but a sound-alike BMW 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six. The engine is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission (again, BMW-sourced) which drives the rear wheels.
The exact performance figures are yet to be announced. However, we believe that it will be close to 400bhp and 480Nm of torque. A four-cylinder turbocharged engine is also rumoured to be in the plans.
The new Toyota Supra is able to hit 100km/h from a standstill in less than five seconds and can attain a top speed north of 250km/h. On top of this, expect an official Nürburgring lap time record too.
As mentioned before, nothing much is known about the much-awaited JDM comeback. However, sources do say that it will have a 50:50 weight distribution and a lower centre of gravity than the Toyota GT86. The wheelbase-track ratio is also ideal for agile and effortless driving dynamics.
The expected prices are in the range of 50,000 US dollars (above Rs 35 lakh before taxes) and once launched, the 2020 Toyota Supra will rival the likes of the BMW M2 Competition, Jaguar F-Type V6, Porsche 718 Cayman S and Audi TT RS.
It is too early to comment on an Indian debut.
Thoughts On The New Toyota Supra
It took almost 17 years for the most popular JDM classic (if not the R34 Skyline GT-R) to make a return. Automotive enthusiasts across the globe are excited about the 2020 Supra and the leaked video has raised their excitement a notch higher. Meanwhile, somebody in the marketing team of Toyota Mexico would've heard a mouthful.