- 2 hrs ago Porsche & Boeing Enter Partnership To Develop Premium Electric Flying Cars
- 2 hrs ago Yamaha R15 V3.0 Prices Increased In India: Price Hike Only For Standard & Darknight Edition Models
- 2 hrs ago New Mahindra Thar (2020) Spied Testing Again Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Details
- 3 hrs ago Maruti XL5 (Premium WagonR) Spied Testing Yet Again: Fresh Details Revealed Ahead Of Launch
- Movies Shree Saini, Indian-Origin Miss World America 2019 Contestant Falls Off Stage; Rushed To ICU
- News SBI Clerk Main Result 2019: Confusion prevails, update on date
- Technology Nubia Z20 With Dual-Display, SD 855 Plus, And More Now Available Globally
- Sports India does not need me to be successful all the time: Sunil Chhetri
- Finance ICICI Bank FD Health: Should You Opt For This FD + Health Insurance Scheme?
- Lifestyle Dhadak Actress Janhvi Kapoor And Sairat Actress Rinku Rajguru Have Humble Fashion Goals For Us
- Travel 8 Most Dangerous Road Routes In India
- Education October 2: Exclusive 150th Birth Eve Mahatma Gandhi Quotes And Views On Education 2019
In an interview with Autocar India, Kenichi Ayukawa, MD & CEO, Maruti Suzuki, confirmed the news regarding the company working on a bigger SUV, stating, "We are studying that type of vehicle, a big-size SUV. We are discussing here and in Japan to see whether we can develop it."
The new Maruti SUV will be based loosely on the next-generation Vitara Brezza. However, the new SUV will be larger (over 4.3 metres) and will feature a similar upright, muscular and boxy design.
The new Maruti SUV is expected to come with two engine options - a new 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine and the newly developed 1.5-litre diesel engine, which as reported earlier is expected to debut on the Ciaz sedan.
Although the exact specifications of the new 1.2-litre turbo petrol are yet to be revealed, the 1.5-litre diesel engine is said to churn out 94bhp and 225Nm of peak torque. Both engines will be compliant with the upcoming BS-VI emission norms.
Currently, the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza comes only with the diesel engine option - 1.3-litre four-cyliner unit churning out 89bhp and 200Nm of torque. The engine further comes mated to a five-speed manual gearbox, with the optional AGS transmission.
Although not much information is known about the upcoming Maruti SUV. It is yet to be seen whether Maruti will introduce a seven-seater version of their new SUV as well. This is considering, Hyundai planning a seven-seater version of the Creta rival expected to launch sometime in 2020.
Currently, Maruti Suzuki is concentrating on the launch of their new WagonR hatchback, which is expected to launch soon. The new WagonR has already been spotted undisguised, along with its brochure which has been leaked. The leaked brochure has revealed the variants, features and specification of the upcoming new WagonR.
Thoughts On The New Maruti SUV
The new Maruti SUV is currently in planning stages, with the brand still considering the possibility of its launch in the Indian market. If launched, the car will be introduced only in mid-2020 and will rival the likes of the Hyundai Creta.