- 39 min ago Mercedes-Benz Luxe Drive Bangalore Edition: Here Are The Highlights
- 2 hrs ago Indian Government Prefers Hyundai Kona EV Over Mahindra & Tata
- 5 hrs ago Idemitsu Honda India Talent Hunt 2019 Reaches Bangalore: Hunt For India's Next-Gen Racing Talent
- 5 hrs ago 2020 Tata Tigor Spied Testing Ahead Of Its Launch: Spy Pics & Details
- News President Ram Nath Kovind in Japan, to attend Emperor Naruhito's enthronement ceremony
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Somvaar Ka Vaar LIVE Updates: Mouni Roy, Rajkummar Rao & Boman Irani Grace The Stage
- Technology Xiaomi Mi CC9 Pro Massive Leak Reveals Specs And Price Ahead Of Launch
- Sports Alonso hits inch-perfect free-kick in training ground stunt
- Lifestyle 6 Fascinating Health Benefits Of Farro, The Nutrient-packed Ancient Grain
- Education Explore IBPS RRB Clerk Main Exam Analysis 2019
- Finance Sovereign Gold Bond Series VI Opens; Good Alternative To Physical Gold On Dhanteras
- Travel Hidlumane Waterfalls - How To Reach And Things To Do
Maruti Suzuki has announced the successful export of one million (10 lakh) cars from the Mundra Port in Gujarat. The one millionth Maruti Suzuki car to go through the Mundra port was an Oxford Blue-coloured Maruti Suzuki DZire that will eventually find its way to Chile.
Maruti Suzuki is without a doubt, the largest car manufacturer in India and among the largest in the world. It is also the largest car exporter in India. Maruti Suzuki's car exports started way back in 1987 when the company started exported 500 cars to Hungary. Since then, things have changed and the company has grown manifold.
Last year, the company exported its cars to more than 100 countries in four continents, including South America, Asia, Europe and Africa. All cars are shipped through car carrier ships and seaways. This is where the Mundra Port becomes really important for Maruti Suzuki.
Located in Gujarat, the Mundra Port, is the largest private port in India and is operated by Adani Ports and SEZ. Along with having a strategic location, the private operation of the port makes the flow of cargo easier and smoother.
In 2013-14, Mundra Port became the first Indian port to handle 100 million (10 Crore) tonnes of cargo in just one year. One of the largest users of the Mundra Port is Maruti Suzuki. Maruti Suzuki has set up a pre-delivery inspection unit and a stockyard just a couple of kilometres away from the international container terminal and ship dock.
Maruti Suzuki uses the Mundra port as its gateway to the markets in the Middle-East, Latin America and Europe. Car carrier ships can dock at the port, get loaded with Maruti Suzuki cars and head to the Middle-Eastern markets and European markets through the Suez Canal.
The location of Mundra Port too makes it easy for Maruti Suzuki to transport its cars from the factory. The Maruti Suzuki factory in Naviyani, Gujarat is just 330 kilometres away from the Mundra Port. The other two factories in Gurgaon and Manesar are just over 1,000 kilometres away.
Maruti Suzuki also exports its cars from the Mumbai port, but it is distant and therefore more expensive. Currently, Maruti Suzuki exports 14 models from the port of Mundra. As the number of Maruti Suzuki models grow, this number too is expected to grow.
Kenichi Ayukawa, Managing Director & CEO, Maruti Suzuki India Limited said, "Within a decade of commencement of exports from Mundra, we achieved the significant milestone of shipping one millionth car. At Maruti Suzuki, we have always aligned our exports strategy to keep pace with the changing market scenario."
"Maruti Suzuki exports are aligned with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's flagship vision of "Make in India". The efforts by Maruti Suzuki reflect India's capabilities of manufacturing cars that meet global standards of quality, safety, design and technology."
Thoughts On Maruti Suzuki Exporting Ten lakh Cars Through Mundra Port In Gujarat
In the midst of an industry slowdown and reports that Maruti Suzuki's sales is at a two-year low right now, it is encouraging to receive reports of such milestones. Ten lakh cars being exported through one port shows the scale of Maruti Suzuki's export operations and the capacity of the Mundra port.