- 6 hrs ago EMoS WYLD Electric Cruiser Motorcycle Unveiled: Here Are The Details
- 6 hrs ago BMW R 18 Cruiser Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 18.90 Lakh
- 7 hrs ago Delhi Government Working On Setting Up 200 New EV Charging Stations Across The City Soon
- 23 hrs ago Ducati Scrambler 1100 Teased Ahead Of Launch: Will Arrive In Two Variants
- Technology Oppo Reno 4 Pro Special Edition India Launch Set On September 24: Report
- Sports IPL 2020: Kings XI Punjab ropes in a range of sponsors
- Movies Kangana Ranaut Called Uneducated By Meena Kumari’s Step-son; 'She Inflicted Trauma On Our Family'
- News No decision to discontinue printing of Rs 2,000 note: Govt
- Lifestyle India Couture Week 2020: Our Favourite 5 Bridal Wear Picks From Suneet Varma’s Stellar Collection
- Finance Public Sector Banks That Offer Best Interest Rate On Savings Account
- Education ICSI Quiz Competition 2020 For Online Current Affairs And General Knowledge
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In September
The Hyundai Venue and the Kia Seltos have made it to the list of nominations for the 2020 World Car of The Year. This is big news for the Indian automotive industry as both SUVs were developed in India, had their global premieres in India and are assembled in India and exported to other markets.
The World Car of The Year award is the single most prestigious award in the global automotive scene. Only the best cars in the world receive this award. The process of deciding upon the World Car of The Year for any given year always starts at the New York Motor Show of the previous year.
This is where nominations are considered and the provisional list of nominations is published at the Frankfurt International Motor Show. Well, the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show is currently underway and the provisional list for the 2020 World Car of The Year is out.
The provisional list of nominations for four categories has been published. The four categories are — 2020 World Car of The Year, 2020 World Performance Car of The Year, 2020 World Luxury Car of The Year and 2020 World Urban Car of The Year.
The Kia Seltos and the Hyundai Venue have been nominated under the 2020 World Car of The Year Category. The Hyundai Venue became the benchmark in the compact SUV category as soon as it was launched in India.
It features a futuristic design, modern engines and a long list of features, some of which are first-in-segment. The SUV received more than 45,000 bookings in less than a month since its launch. These figures are staggering, coming from a market that is currently experiencing a slowdown.
The Hyundai Venue is available with one diesel and two petrol engine options. A 1.2-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine powers the base variants and puts out a maximum power output of 83bhp and a peak torque output of 115Nm.
Hyundai also offers a turbo-petrol engine, which is a 1.0-litre unit that pushes out 120bhp and 170Nm. The sole diesel offering is a 1.4-litre unit with 89bhp and 220Nm. The Hyundai Venue continues to sell well for the Korean car manufacturer.
Coming to the Kia Seltos, we wouldn't be wrong in saying that it redefined the standards previously set by the Hyundai Creta in the segment. The Kia Seltos became an immediate success in the mid-size SUV segment and it took the market by storm.
The SUV was launched in two variants and eight sub-variants with three engine options and four transmission options. There is enough customisabililty to make it suit everybody's tastes and the SUV attracted everyone's attention.
Thoughts On Kia Seltos & Hyundai Venue Being Nominated For The 2020 World Car Of The Year Award
It seems like these two SUVs which Indians clearly loved are also loved by the Global audience, hence they have been nominated for the 2020 World Car of The Year. More cars will be added to the list till the end of the year.
A panel consisting of 82 international automotive journalists from 24 countries will then judge the cars on various parameters before finally announcing the winner. The Jaguar i-Pace won the 2019 World Car of The Year award. Which one will take the trophy home in 2020? Only time can tell.