- 1 hr ago Tesla Likely To Establish A Research Centre In Bengaluru: Read More To Find Out
- 16 hrs ago MG Hector Dual-Tone Variant Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 16.84 Lakh
- 18 hrs ago Tata Nexon EV Limited Time Subscription Offer Introduced During Festive Season
- 19 hrs ago MG Gloster Off-Road Capabilities Showcased Ahead Of Launch: Video & Other Details
- News Two nonagenarian men defeat COVID-19 in Odisha
- Technology Infinix Hot 10 With MediaTek Helio G70 SoC Officially Announced: Price, Specifications
- Movies Deepika Padukone's Manager, KWAN Talent Agency CEO Summoned By NCB In Drug Probe: Report
- Sports Original 9, Hewitt, Raymond among nominees for Tennis Hall of Fame
- Finance Stocks In News On September 22, 2020
- Lifestyle Excited For Bigg Boss 14? Well, Gauahar Khan’s Powder Blue Gown From The Promo Will Excite You More!
- Education CBSE Class 12 Compartment Exam Date 2020 Schedule
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In September
The Hyundai Venue and the Kia Seltos have made it to the list of nominations for the 2020 World Car of The Year. This is big news for the Indian automotive industry as both SUVs were developed in India, had their global premieres in India and are assembled in India and exported to other markets.
The World Car of The Year award is the single most prestigious award in the global automotive scene. Only the best cars in the world receive this award. The process of deciding upon the World Car of The Year for any given year always starts at the New York Motor Show of the previous year.
This is where nominations are considered and the provisional list of nominations is published at the Frankfurt International Motor Show. Well, the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show is currently underway and the provisional list for the 2020 World Car of The Year is out.
The provisional list of nominations for four categories has been published. The four categories are — 2020 World Car of The Year, 2020 World Performance Car of The Year, 2020 World Luxury Car of The Year and 2020 World Urban Car of The Year.
The Kia Seltos and the Hyundai Venue have been nominated under the 2020 World Car of The Year Category. The Hyundai Venue became the benchmark in the compact SUV category as soon as it was launched in India.
It features a futuristic design, modern engines and a long list of features, some of which are first-in-segment. The SUV received more than 45,000 bookings in less than a month since its launch. These figures are staggering, coming from a market that is currently experiencing a slowdown.
The Hyundai Venue is available with one diesel and two petrol engine options. A 1.2-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine powers the base variants and puts out a maximum power output of 83bhp and a peak torque output of 115Nm.
Hyundai also offers a turbo-petrol engine, which is a 1.0-litre unit that pushes out 120bhp and 170Nm. The sole diesel offering is a 1.4-litre unit with 89bhp and 220Nm. The Hyundai Venue continues to sell well for the Korean car manufacturer.
Coming to the Kia Seltos, we wouldn't be wrong in saying that it redefined the standards previously set by the Hyundai Creta in the segment. The Kia Seltos became an immediate success in the mid-size SUV segment and it took the market by storm.
The SUV was launched in two variants and eight sub-variants with three engine options and four transmission options. There is enough customisabililty to make it suit everybody's tastes and the SUV attracted everyone's attention.
Thoughts On Kia Seltos & Hyundai Venue Being Nominated For The 2020 World Car Of The Year Award
It seems like these two SUVs which Indians clearly loved are also loved by the Global audience, hence they have been nominated for the 2020 World Car of The Year. More cars will be added to the list till the end of the year.
A panel consisting of 82 international automotive journalists from 24 countries will then judge the cars on various parameters before finally announcing the winner. The Jaguar i-Pace won the 2019 World Car of The Year award. Which one will take the trophy home in 2020? Only time can tell.