- 1 day ago Maruti Suzuki Eeco Becomes Safer: Receives A Price Increase
- 1 day ago Honda CB Shine BS-VI Engine Specs Leaked: India Launch Expected This Year
- 1 day ago MG Hector 10,000 Units Production Milestone Crossed: 6,000 SUVs Already Delivered
- 1 day ago Triumph Diwali Discount Offers: Festive Benefits Available On Select Models
- News October 21 by-polls: Key constituencies to watch out for
- Movies Shah Rukh Khan Flaunts A Jacket Gifted By Karan Johar, Hilariously Demands A Pair Of Heels!
- Sports India vs South Africa, 3rd Test: Unfortunate that we dropped Rohit's chance on Day 1: George Linde
- Technology How To Pin Live Score On Android Homescreen
- Finance 4 High Interest Rate Fixed Deposits You Can Buy Online
- Lifestyle 7 Sweet And Adorable Things Siblings Do ForEach Other While Growing Up
- Travel 8 Amazing and Affordable Winter Vacation Destinations In India
- Education 5 Things Students Should Know About MHRD Internship Scheme
Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen AG have announced a partnership in the field of commercial vehicles, setting goals such as electric and autonomous driving technology as key priorities. The new alliance will save billions of dollars as per reports.
The information about the new Ford-Volkswagen partnership came out along with the news from the ongoing Detroit Auto Show 2019. But what is more interesting is that it was only recently when Ford announced a partnership with Mahindra in India.
However, the alliance with Volkswagen AG is on a much more global level. The commercial vehicle market in Europe, the United States and China are the focus areas. Herbert Diess, CEO of Volkswagen AG, shared that both companies have discussed possibilities in the market for vans and other commercial vehicles, in the past few months. He further added that no merger or equity stakes will be involved in the expansion of the alliance.
The alliance highlights the challenges faced by global automotive brands in managing the development costs of electric and self-driving automobiles. Furthermore, the technological advancement required in future products to meet stringent emission norms is a huge task to accomplish.
The success and scope of the new Ford-Volkswagen alliance will depend on further talks between each group. Sources suggest that the basic framework includes the resource-pooling for autonomous technology, Volkswagen investing in Ford's business and Ford licensing Volkswagen's MED platform for electric vehicles.
Volkswagen will also gain access to the platform of Ford's popular mid-size pickup truck, the Ranger. This means that we can expect a capable Volkswagen pickup truck in the not-too-distant future; something which the brand does not have right now.
A development to the alliance would bring better savings for both. For the same reason, Volkswagen would consider building their products at Ford's facilities. Similarly, Ford's electric mobility goals could be attained through Volkswagen's dedicated architectures.
Thoughts On The New Partnership Between Volkswagen And Ford
The automotive industry is witnessing a growing competition between manufacturers performing in various segments; be it passenger vehicle, commercial or public service. Over the past few years, many major brands have tied up for mutual benefit; the new partnership between Volkswagen and Ford being the latest example.